Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57" front springs? Front axle relocation question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 12, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

57\" front springs? Front axle relocation question...

I just aquired some free 57" springs from a Ford Bronco. They're 3" wide and stock height. I think they will fit but I'm not sure what the safe distance to move the front axle foreward is. I,m concerned about the shackle hitting the body mount also. The springs are so long that the rear eye is right under the mount, but I'm going to try to retain the factory location and use a very long front shackle. I might just trim the mount if I have to. Well, I'm rambling because I've had a little too much Bacardi after work today... I'll check in after my nap to see what you guys think I'm talking about. The room is spinning afterall /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: 57\" front springs? Front axle relocation question...

I would leave the front mount alone and and make up the difference in the rear shackle set up. Switching the mount will pull the front forward quite a bit. I last measured mine at 5" from stock. and with my 7" shackle I'm right at the body mount at full compression.

3. TruckNutzDude

Actually if I leave the front mount where it is I'll move the axle backwards (towards the firewall) about 2"-3". I have to move the front mount to accomodate this but if I move it so the axle is in the stock location the mount will go directly under the bolt for the radiator support and the L-bracket will not be used. Maybe I should make a plate to brace the mount to the L-bracket and go with the stock location? I don't really want to move my axle foreward much but I want some more room for my tires (40's now 44's soon) with only 6" of lift /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I swapped brackets up front and I'm 5" forward. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    stock location you are 1" forward, otherwise no one would drill theres when used in the rear to push the axle back to stock /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

hate to tell ya but I have 7" lift out of mine with a 2" body and I could rub my training wheels..(33's) so I'm using bumpstops to keep the 38's out of the way.

5. TruckNutzDude

So basicly what you're telling me is that I should just keep my NEW BDS springs up front since I'll already have a hard time fitting the 44's on my rig as it is? I've got 64's out back... we'll see how much body is left when those things flex /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'd go with 52's up front. they will fit better/easier. and flex like mad.

7. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd go with 52's up front. they will fit better/easier. and flex like mad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've considered it. I think I might just stick with what I have... The Ford springs were free so I thought I might give them a shot. Thanks for the advice anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif