Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57inch spring poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Apr 21, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What's been your experience with 57 inch rear springs?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

every srping will have issues with axle wrap. my expereince is that they are slightly more prone then 52" springs, but the additional droop and flex FAR outweigh the issue. that and I have a doubler so i'm not heavy on the go pedel

3. big pappa b

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I had some wrap issues, until I put shocks and bracketed the front of the springs. The wrap problem is now solved.

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I'm a card carrying Web wheeler but I've got them on my truck and they are stupid soft /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's too hard for most (not all) to stay out of the go pedal so a wrap bar of some kind is needed imo

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I like the stupid pedal way too much to try them, so the idea was considered and dismissed.

I currently have 52s but I've considered a few other options. I'm happy with my current flex so I haven't messed with it much.

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I have no problems with them...but mine are the 3" ones, installed in the front.

8. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Still have factory truck. I was thinking about 57s for the rear, but I can get a set of 63s for $40. Therefore now I'm thinking I'll be going with them. As far as the axle wrap, I guess I'll have see what happens.

Kirk

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I just finished putting in a set in Mine this last weekend. I went a diffrent rout after hearing about sagging problems and such. I used a set from an 86 Bronco which are 3" wide and are a 5 leaf pack. I took the mains to a spring shop and had the first 3" of the spring narrowed to 2 1/2" to fit in the stock hanger. I then used a front hanger off and 84 dually for the flip (perfect fit with minimal trimming) I used half of my stock Chevy shackel and welded it to half of the Bronco shackel, thus making it 3" on one end and 2 1/2" on the other. I then used a set of 87 F-250 u-bolt spring plates to fit around the 3" wide spring. I figure the Bronco springs should hold up since they were ment to hold the weight of a fiberglass topper. Testing of the 57's and /\ mounted RSX 9012's sould come in the near futer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Got em, love em, had horrible axle wrap and added the Az-kickin anti wrap bar. Problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I've got the 57's and so far I've been nothing but pleased. Azkickin anti-wrap looks awesome, but it cost a pretty penny. I've been thinking of fabbin up my own bar, but I haven't really have many issues, so its just been in the back of my mind in the planning stages. I'm not very hard on the skinny pedal, that's probably why.

12. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    Got em, love em, had horrible axle wrap and added the Az-kickin anti wrap bar. Problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, some of us don't get to "Test" products /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and won't pay $800 for it. Good plug for Az-kickin though /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What is so wrong about mentioning that the product works? I didn't say it's the only product out there...but it is the one under my truck (regardless of what I paid for it) and it does work.

I never expected to get it free, and Bill and I spent at least a month trading emails while hammering out the design. The fact he did send it to me for free is just proof of what a classy guy he is.

Rene

14. big pappa b

Nothing wrong with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'd run it too if I got it for free or a healthy discount. Most of us can't afford that price tag though.

I just ordered a new set of 57's and will see what happens from there. I will most likely try to fab some kind of anti-wrap bar