Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57's and rear shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

57\'s and rear shocks?

I have the 57" F150 springs on my Jimmy w/ the Echobit kit. I am wondering what shocks some of you guys that have these springs are running? how long are they extended? How do you have them mounted? Do they limit your travel up or down at all? Pictures?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: 57\'s and rear shocks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

That is a sweet setup! How does it work, and how long are those shocks?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

36" Rancho RS99036's 16" of piston travel. It works realy well, i am also pretty lucky as te e-brake cables don't limit me.

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

You are 'da man!... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif That looks good!

Marv

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, the guy i got me suspension from is pretty cool, too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

omg you are my hero /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, whenever I get my daily driver and turn my present K5 into my toy I am absolutely modeling my rear suspension after that! How do the shocks mount to the axel?

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no, i'm not your hero, Greg72 and Marv Springer are your heros.

I have the shocks mounted at a ~10* angle on top of the spring pads and the shocks are at about 92% dampening. With the Springer Suspension and the Greg72 hoops, the limiting factor is the stock wheel tubs. but many people are running into that problem with a shackle flip (ORD, Springer, Echobit) because of the soft spring.

I am very happy with the overall set-up. i am able to run sans track bar with the current set-up and keeping the e-brake cables.

with the rear droop and stuff, and locked in the rear, if i had a better crawl ratio the set up would be awsome. once you can get to 80:1 or above crawl with the set-up I am running, you can get it, IMHO

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

In reply to: I am wondering what shocks some of you guys that have these springs are running

I will be running DT's front and rear with these springs.

In reply to:
    How do you have them mounted

I will have them mounted on custom cut ford front towers and the Howlin' Off Road rear crossmember. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jeremy

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

well mine isn't as fancy as zakk's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but I am using the same shocks that I was with my stock springs (RS9005's 12'' travel) with my 57''s. Even though there was the same amount of available shock travel, I gained a very significant amount of travel at the wheel due to the fact that I was now fully compressing the shock as well as fully extending it. I couldn't be happier considering that I am using these shocks in the stock position and still have nearly 3 feet of travel at the wheel /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I feel that a few more inches of shock would be perfect (i.e. 99036's) any more than that and this thing will just get limiting straps! Zakk: are you able to top out your shocks? I'd rather not use such a long shock if I don't have to (even though they are the same price) being that this is my daily driver and the carpet is still clean and I have functional a/c /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm trying to avoid having them protrude so far into the passenger compartment.

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have about 2" left. I have cycled the suspension pretty good, so i think I will have exactly enuff. I have no pics of my Junk next to a ruler, but those are my estimations.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There are a couple of other points to keep in mind when selecting your shock length:

1. The amount of "angle" in the shock will determine how much movement you get while flexing. A traditional "45-degree" shock setup will move very little during articulation compared to Zakk's setup (which is as close to 90 degrees as we could make it). If you're going "inboard" with a bolt-in mount, you probably don't need as much shock as you think.....unless you are REALLY flexy.

2. The mounting position of the shock on the axletube will also determine how much "stroke" you need. In articulation, the pivot point is in the center of the axle (roughly) and the tire is travelling in a much LARGER arc than the shock. You might have 16" of wheel travel, but because of the smaller arc that the shock travels....you may only see 10" of travel at that point.

A couple more things to consider. As always, the BEST way to know for sure is to flex things out with the shocks unbolted and see what you get. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

What is Howlin' Off Road?

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I believe you emailed me on this issue. Howlin' Off Road is the name I have giving to the products I make.

-Jeremy

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

AHhhhhh, Yes... I contacted you about this. I didn't know that is what you called your products.

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I made my own shock crossmember, then I decided that with the weight of a full body on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif that the shocks wouldn't dampen the body roll (or any movement for that matter) while inboarded as well as they would mounted straight up and down. I realize that the best way to find out how much travel I need is to disconnect my shocks and ramp it up, but i can max out most of the local loading docks and I always get run off from the ones that I can't max out /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Then there is the issue of straight up and down wheel travel...