Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57s in the front 63's in the back

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Aug 4, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

57s in the front 63\'s in the back

As the title says I want to run this setup what all things do I need to do along with it. This is the list I have started (my jimmy will be down for 6 to 8 months I know)
    Hydraulic ram assist
    crossover steering
    box front of frame to firewall?
    already have weld in and bolt in steering brace
    new engine crossmember
    additional crossmember (about at the front of the frame)
    what else do I need to do?

At the same time the jimmy is getting
    built 402 (my favorite part)
    37-13-15 boggers?
    front and rear narrow
    cage or exo? (which ever will work better with the missing top, see next addition)
    chop top
    boatside
    radiator moved to back
    and what ever else hits me while I am doing all this
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: 57s in the front 63\'s in the back

how much lift you planning?

With the 6-7" i gotout of my 57's up front I can't run a dropped pitman arm.
    My axel is 5" forward. and I swapped the front mounts on the frame and lowered them to help with pinion angle. I ran a 7" long shackle allow the spring to flatten out when stuffed.

I'm gonna be running my new secret contraption in the front and my bumper acts as my spring mount and front crossmember.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

You'll need to move your front spring hanger forward, and probably make longer shackles for the 57's (this is what I did for chevy 56's...I didn't want FURD in my rig /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), and for my 63's in the rear I relocated my front hanger to the body mount holes, and then used a front spring hanger from my K30 for the rear hanger and did a shackle flip. A LOT of cutting grinding, pounding, and drilling required, but it doesn;t cost much.

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I already have a shackle flip in the rear. My plan is to switch sides of the shackle flips and move them back about 3 inches. this will put my axle about 5 inches back. I have offset zero rates front and rear so I can play around with them that way. I will also move the front hanger for the rear springs foward not sure of how far yet?

As for the front I will be swithing the perches from one side to the other (as cyberfire did) and moving my shackle back 2 inches. I will also be turning the 57s around therefore moving my axle a total of 5 inches I believe. I will be running a 7.25 inch shackle and dont quite understand caster angle and what the perfect pinion angle is so I will be asking many questions along the way. Also for those of you who have done this swap or a similar one what shocks are you running. I plan on putting my rear mounts thru the bed like zakk did and the fronts I will make mounts off of the tubes that will run inside my skinned fenders. I also want to do center drop brakes in the front (just like the back is) to eliminate my brakelines ever being an issue. I will also be putting on a 1 inch bodylift to help clear the bbc. I am hoping for somewhere between 7 and 9 inches. And lots of flex. What do you guys think. Also what is the best way and metal to use to box my frame and how far back shouild I go?

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

turning the springs around will put ya backwards. and moving the shackle mount back will put your shackle right into the body mount, or knotching it. Mines in the stock spot and I have to trim my body mount to get the shackle to full stuff.
    I run the DT8304's and I am cutting my ford towers to fit once i flex it to see where to go. My rears are on hoops, and angled back off the spring plates for the lower.

for my brakelines I have the braided ones for a 12" lift coming out the bottom of the framerail.

I would have done the center drop brakeline but I have a bunch of stuff up front as it is. crossover, histeer, bronco sway bar(dumb enough to try this on the street)
    so they are staying stock style, so they get to room with my shocks and limting straps,LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Itjought turning the 57s around will put your axle 3 inches foward being they are 3 inches longer on one side. Havent looked ant the body mount thing yet that will be looked at today,

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thats 56's that will turn it 3 inches back when its flipped around

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the springs are 8" longer then stock fronts.
    the center pin is 1.25" forward IIRC and then moving the mounts comes even farther forward.

9. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I apologize I thought 57's were offset 3 inches oh weel I can make up any difference with the 0 rates so all is good.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

4" steve, 52 and 56 have the same front eye to center pin, so a couple simple keystrokes on the calculator and...
    56-52=4

11. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I have done the Ford 57's up front with 3" wide springs (can't keep 2.5" wide mainleafs in one piece). I mounted mine a little differently then 55willy and used weld on shims to restore my caster.

Search under my name and you should find pics and a link to my writeup on Pirate. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Is yours the s-10 cab??

13. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

already have it bookmarked but I didnot see anypics.

14. rcurrier44

Well its a Toy/K5 hybrid on 44"tsls....but probubly the one you are thinking of.

I'll see if I can find it for you. Its also on the offroad fabrication site...but thats not working right now.

15. rcurrier44

Here is a thread with a pic. If you go to my post it has a link to the pirate page with my writeup. The writeup explains my setup with lots of pics and dimensions. Right now it is saying they are working on the server so I would give it a bit.

web page

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeap thats the one.

I have a set of 3" fords if anyone wants to try em.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah Jeremy, I should keep my mouth shut, I need giving people the wrong information today /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif