Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57's or 63's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Nov 26, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Just got done putting 2in. lift 57in. Alcans in the back of my truck and it sits a little low for me and the shackle angle is not the best. I don't want to move the front hanger back so I was thinking about selling these and getting some 63's. These 2in. lift Alcans are flat with the truck's weight on them. Will stock 63's give me lift? Should I go with 2 in. lift 63's?

Here are some pics of how it sits now. In the front it has 6in. skyjacker softrides and the axle moved forward 1in. with zero-rates. The rear has a 4in. shackle flip, beefed lowering shackle 8in. long, 2in. lift 57in. Alcans with the center pin hole centered in the spring pack, axle moved forward 1in. with zero-rates(I had thought the springs would move the axle back 3in... not quite :doah: )

I also included a pic of the tires that I will be putting on. They're 44's(measure about 42in.).

HPIM0313.JPG

HPIM0315.JPG

HPIM0319.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put 3 leaf + overload 63s on my rig and the 2" lowering shackles. I've got 6" springs in the front right now. You can see a pic in my 63 swap angle check post. I think I only lost about an inch but its hard to tell with the front higher.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156451

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

with my steep shackle angle, 7.5" shackles I got 4" of lift with out the over load and 5" with the zero rate, if you used the overload and zerorate you should get 6" of lift. it also depends on your shackle angle and length.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 86Cucvbeater

I'm thinking all I have to do is swap the ORD shackle flips side to side(that will move the mount back, not sure how much tho) and install stock or 2in. lift 63's. Hopefully that will give me an awesome shackle angle and the tiny bit more lift that I'm looking for. Anyone have an idea where that would put my axle with the zero-rate in the center position? Better yet, can anyone tell me the measurements of a stock 63in. spring forward and back of the center pin? Thanks!

Edit:This truck came stock with 56in. rear springs incase anyone didn't know.

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

the 63s are split evenly about 31.5" and 31.5" if the spring is flat, it will be about 64" long, 32"/32". did you move your front spring hanger? if not then you will move the axle back about 3.5" if the 56s were split down the middle too.

6. 86Cucvbeater

Ok, I think I found the answer. I just read that 63in. springs have the center pin in the middle of the spring just like these alcans so the axle should be moved back 3in. compared to these springs. Sweet :D Are all 88 up chevy 63's this way?

7. 86Cucvbeater

No not going to mess with the front hanger. And my stock 56's were not split down the middle like these but I'm comparing 63's to whats on there now, the 57's.

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

oh, well if the springs you have on there now are plit down the middle then you will be moving the axle 3" back like you have come to. i belive all 63s are split down the middle.