Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

599 block

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by imiceman44, Aug 10, 2005.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

So a friend of mine calls me a few months ago saying he has a nice block that has been cleaned up and ready to rebuild with all the matching parts, polished crank and cam, and a rebuilt IP.
    Missing heads and injectors.
    I figured I have a couple of engines siting here I can rebuild a pair of heads or pick a nice clean set and I can assemble an engine.
    He says $300 for the whole thing so I say OK.
    I recieve the engine block and crank with some surface rust and I freak out, then I think OH well I willpolish it again, there is no deep rust, turns out it has been sitting in his garage collecting dust (and moisture) for a year.
    Well I thew it in my garage until I have time to work on it.
    Today I wanted to move it out of the way to work onmy jeep and I think, let's see what kind of block that is, and to my surprise looking at the casting number, it ends with 599.
    I am pretty sure that is a late model block and if my memory serves me, it can be bored to 6.5l, correct?
    Now the block has been magnafluxed, honed and new plugs and block heater.

Should I:

- rebuild it the way it is after cleaning up the rust and put my BANKS turbo on it.

or

- wait and do a 6.5l and still turbo it with either a stock GM or the BANKS.

I am in no hurry, I have too many projects now so give me your thoughts.

and do you guys think I got a good deal?

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you got a great deal if the block isn't cracked - doesn't sound like it.

Thick cylinder walls are the way to go. You're not gaining much going from 379 to 395 cubes except anodized crowns. I wouldn't bore it. Chicks dig the 6.2L :D

The Banks T04B is a nice low-output turbo. :rolleyes: The GMx series is higher output, but peters out in efficiency around 14 psi. I like my MHI TE06H. It works well, and temps are low at 15+ psi.

Build it with 6.5TD injectors, a 4911, and a mean-ass turbo. :saweet:

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

all foreign language to me (well almost) but i need to learn as i wanna turbo 6.2 propane injected in a crew dual sometime :waytogo: gotta love the 6.2 :D

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

who is mhi? and whats a 4911? :D ;)

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

4911 is the stanadyne IP from a 6.5l TD I believe.
    MHI, no idea.

Now if the cylinder walls are not cleanable, should i bore or just hone them as long as it's within tolerance?
    Also I have an ATS turbo, no idea which one it's sitting on a dead 6.2 in my sub, would that be better than my Banks?

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A Garrett T04B is standard issue on the Banks kit. It's high on lag, and low on boost ~10 psi max with stock fueling. The ATS is turbo is along the same lines as the Banks Garrett. It's non-wastegated too, though some say it's more responsive.

MHI TE06H = Mitsubishi Heavy Industries turbo, model TE06H. Banks uses it on their Ford turbo kits. It's loud and boosts up to 10+ psi very quickly. It's wastegated, so you can control the top end boost. They're very difficult to find though.

A Stanadyne DB2831-4911 is a 6.5L mechanical injection pump - .310 plungers, and 4911 is the series of the hydraulic rotor - 62 ccs at stock up to about 76 ccs turned up.

For your 599 block, clean it up with .020 or .030 over, get some lower compression pistons from Peninsular, the Diesel Depot, or Kennedy, and call it good.