Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5pt harnesses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

is there a way to run a 5pt harness system in a stock set up?
    i was thinking about that, i have a 85
    and was curious

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Theoretically you could by using the stock seat mounting points, and extension straps - You'd have to rig somewhere to hold the anti-submarine belt in place.

Special thanks to those lost in NY, DC and PA
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I used the seat mounts. The rear-seat mount behind the driver was used for the other point on mine. It's a temporary thing for when i need it for racing.

John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy K20 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 w/8.1L & Allison Auto

4. Confederate9

do you have any pics of this?
    where did u get the harness?

what about a 3 pt harness, there there are 2 pts over the shoulder and one inbetween the legs?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I absolutely would refuse to have a 3 point harness like you describe. Where's the force going to be applied to your body in an accident? A 4 point harness would be far better in my opinion, applying the force to your pelvis.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Confederate9

where did u mount the straps over the shoulder?
    i want to see some pics!!!
    ]anyone do this w/out a roll bar?

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Tim make a good (and hilarious) point. The 3 point harnesses tie to the sides like a regular lap belt and if you could picture an upside-down Y on your chest with the bottom part of the Y being the attaching point at the back of the seat or rollcage. I will also get probably some 3 point harnesses. I won't do any racing, I just like the look of them. The only thing that sux is that they don't allow much movement to the occupants.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

**high pitched voice** I rode in a rail with 3-points at Glamis once - NEVER AGAIN!!!

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. Confederate9

all the 3pt harnesses i have seen are over the shoulder.
    it has two straps over the shoulder, then one inbetween the legs.
    they say their bolt on [at summitracing.com] do u you think i could bolt it to the hart top bolts, then the 2 side bolts to where the old seatbelts were, then have to add the one inbetween the legs?
    this is what i am wondering when it says bolt on.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

5 points harnesses have to be mounted in a specific way in order to work. In drag racing they check to make sure they are correct. You have to mount the crotch belt behind the seat in order for it to work correctly. If you dont you can be seriously hurt by mounting straight down. The two shoulder belts have to be mounted at least a couple of inches behind the seat on the floor, and the lap belts need to mount to the floor close to the factory locations. They check that kind of stuff in tech at local dragstrips, so if you have any questions, go ask on of the tech guys and they will explain to you where you can mount them to pass tech. I know you said you werent going to race, but this is the best way to mount them if you are going to use them.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. DesertDueler

DONT use 5 point harnesses without a rollbar. The harnesses dont let you move when you are in them. What happens is if you are in a rollover, and the roof crushes in, you cant duck down, so you become the highest point in the vehicle. That is the easist way to get killed. NHRA wont let you use 5 point harnesses without a rollbar because of the dangers. If you put them in because you like the look, DONT use them until you get a cage. Make sure the cage is welded to the frame.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

12. DesertDueler

Also forgot 5 point harnesses are not street legal. No dot approval.

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I also agree with Desert Dueler! With the factory belts you can lean over in the event of a roll and move away from collapsing sheetmetal. With a 5 pt harness you are held in place and immobile. If y ou dont have a cage you cant move out of the way of a collapsign roof and will be crushed or seriously injured.

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

14. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, those are supposed to bolt directly on to the factory mounts. I think they come with the accessories for this. I have a good picture of some 3 point harnesses I wanted to get, but I forgot where I saw it. I'll look for it and let you know once I see it.

<font color=red>"Thank you for pot smoking."</font color=red>

15. Confederate9

well the ones that mount to roll bars are above the head....
    so why couldnt i mount it from where the hard top bolts in, then on where the stock seatbelts are, then inbetweent the legs
    yeah i like the look too.
    and i know someone is gonna say what if u roll over, i will go ahead and say it, i do not do enough extreme 4wheelin where i come remotly close to rolling over.

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would not mount the shoulder straps to the floor, because they wrap around your shoulders. In the event of a serious accident or rollover, your spine may compress or you could end up with a broken collar bone or even a broken shoulder blade. I'm not sure where the best place is to mount them(ie 2" or 4" above shoulders) but it should be to the horizontal bar behind the seats

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

17. DesertDueler

They DO Not mount above your head. They mount on the hoop bar. That bar that runs across the hoop in the middle is made for seat belts. If you mount them on where the top bolts to, when the roof caves in, the seat belt will loosen up, and allow you to fly out. I have the stock seat belts in my Jimmy when I rolled 6 times. I ducked down to move out of the way, but still got hit in the head. BTW you can roll almost anywhere. I rolled down a hill that wasnt too hard, but the rear end broke, and when I hit the brakes, my passenger front brake line snapped from the pressure. The line was braided steel. I caused me to shoot sideways across the hill, and tipped the truck over. Rollovers can happen anywhere.