Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.0 or 383 swap into '90 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Agar426, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Agar426

Agar426 Registered Member

6.0 or 383 swap into \'90 K5

I've got a '90 K5 that is right around 140,000 miles. It still runs fine, but someday the engine will have to be replaced. I had always planned on swapping in a 383 in place of the 350, especially if GMs crate 383 becomes TBI compatible out of the crate. Anyhow, I've noticed that Advanced Adapters is selling 4.7, 5.3, and 6.0 crate engines with harnesses to swap them into Jeeps. I was wondering what it would take to swap one of these into my Blazer? Is it possible to swap the 6.0 into my Blazer without too many headaches? Would this be a good swap, or is the 383 a better choice. The 383 would naturally make more torque, but those 6.0's put up some pretty sweet numbers, and retain factory reliability in the process. Any comments would be a great help. Thanks.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: 6.0 or 383 swap into \'90 K5

swaping a 6.0 shouldn't be a problem, I believe it should drop in just fine.
    I would go with that before a 383.

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

383 would probably end up being alot cheaper than the 6.0. There is no reason it wouldnt be as reliable if you fuelinjected it. Oh, and your stock TBI wont work with either engine. It is built for about 210 HP not 300+. You will probably need a minium of new injectors and some computer modifications.

Sparky

4. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

i would fuel inject the 383, that will be a very nice motor, but if you want a trouble free swap, the 6.0 will be nice, easy, and probably still be more reliable in the end. either way parts are plentiful for either one and you can get a lot of power out of them no matter which way you go.

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

:blink:
    I would go for the 6.0 absolutely. Its got a way better induction system than the old TBI and if cash isn't a problem, I don't see the reason why not. It'd be a lot less headaches getting the small things (i.e. your TBI working well on a 383) worked out if AA has a good kit.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">TBI can easily work with a 383 stroker

7. 98sub454

it will bolt up, but you need bigger injectors and a custom program, as well as a bigger fuel pump to handle the bigger, more powerful motor

8. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

The TBI will work just fine with the 383. You can use the stock injectors, and stock fuel pump, but you will need a custom computer chip made. As long as you do not go too wild with the cam, the stock chip will fire up the engine, but I wouldn't drive too long like that as it will be running a little lean. Good luck with whichever engine you choose, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

9. Agar426

Agar426 Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses. Luckily I have time to make a decision and save money...the engine is still running strong, but with 140k on the odo, I want to start planning since now. I realize that the 383 setup would require some fuel system and computer changes due to the increased displacement and performance. I read an article in Hot Rod where they switched from a blown 350 tbi to a stroker 383, and they retained the tbi setup. They had to do a lot of work with the computer to get the thing to work, and they had Turbo City (I believe) burn them a custom chip. The nice thing about the 383 is that is the same engine externally, so everything would swap over such as accessories, air conditioner routing, etc. I really like the idea of the 6.0, especially one of the higher performance versions like the ones in the Yukon Denali or Caddy Escalade. What sort of changes would have to be made to to accommodate this engine since it is an updated design? Would I need custom exhaust? Would my heater and A/C still work and mount the same? Will the 700R4 hold up? Will I need to go with a newer computer controlled tranny? There are a ton of things to consider, but I figured if Advance Adapters can put one in a Jeep, it ought to be able to go into another GM product just as easy or even easier.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am almost sure you will need different brakets for your accessories to work on the 6.0 but you can retain the tranny you have, and everything should work.
    As far as prices go I recall that the 6.0 is in line with most 383 long blocks I have seen around 4-5k

11. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Does anyone know what it cost to get a new chip burned? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. 98sub454

a custom chip would probably be around 300+

some of your accessories may bolt right onto the 6.0 but the brackets will be easy to get. everything else will definately bolt on except for the exhaust. you will now have vortec heads so you will need some different headers

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

When it was time for an engine rebuild or replacement in my '90 Jimmy, I went with a 383 with the Edlebrock MPFI and an LT1 roller cam. As others have already said this is a simple bolt-in and all accessories worked. Edlebrock supplied the custom chip, and I am running the TES headers.

This is not a radical 383, but a strong reliable engine that produces a lot of lowend torque.

14. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

What kinda mpg's ya gettin with that set up??

What ever happened to a plan old supercharged 350??

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will also have to address concerns like cooling, as most likely the 6.0 won't be set up for a motor driven fan, so you will have to convert to electric fans. Motor mounts might be a concern. Also things like motor location in the frame. You might have to relocate and or weld in new motor mounts because of where the new motor would sit as compared to the tranny. You might also look into firewall clearences, fuel pump questions (where to mount and how much for a new electric pump, what PSI), and other things along those lines. It might say it is an easy swap, but they might not be telling the whole truth. I would talk directly with them and see about all the stuff required. A 383 might need more things at first glance to get it swapped, but it has been done alot more, so there is more info on the swap and more people to help. Also I think it would be alot more straight forward of a swap then the 6.0

Its a great idea, but it has alot of questions. Also think about the parts availability and cost. Trail spares would cost alot more and be alot harder to find in the middle of nowhere. You can find just about anything for a SBC anywhere.

Harley

16. 98sub454

none of those things present a problem, the 6.0s use clutch fans, the motor mounts are exactly the same, the block dimensions are the same, except there is no provision for a distributor, and im pretty sure the advanced adaptors motors come with a pump, and if they dont its not like its hard to get them out of a donor truck