Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.0 swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LA90k5, Jan 13, 2006.

1. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

I have some questions about a 6.0 swap. I have a 90 k5 with a 6.2. I was looking at rebuilding the diesel or getting a crate 350. Well, my bro-in-law totalled his truck the other day. I have not looked at it yet, but I want to buy it for the engine. I am not sure whether or not I should go this route because I've never done an engine swap before. I am comfortable working on my blazer and I'm ok with a crate 350 swap, but the 6.0 has all the extra wiring. I searched and found some good info on this site, but I don't know if I should pursue the 6.0 because it seems like something lengthy and my blazer is a dd. Any advice you guys could give I would greatly appreciate because I am new to the k5 world.

2. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

I'm doing a 6.0L 4L80E swap into an 85 k5. This is the 5th motor swap I've done and even so, this ones taken me 7 months. Granted, I haven't had much time to work on it, and most of it has been research, most swaps like this take more time than you would ever imagine. Take a look at the swap that petersons 4wheel and offroad did and it will give you an idea of what parts you need and modifications you will have to do.
    http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/chevy/131_0406_eng/index.html
    You can also e-mail me if you would like. But if this is your first time doing something like this and this is a daily driver, I would say no way would this be practical. Your truck would be out of commission for quite some time. The physical swap is easy, it's the little things that kill you in the longrun and keep the swap a nightmare process.:doah:

3. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

Your opinion is pretty much what I decided after putting more thought into it. Also, I don't have a place to put stuff like engines right now. The only reason I have considered swapping to a gas engine is for better performance in the mud. However, I seem to have become addicted to the smell of diesel. I'll probably not do anything to the engine until I get some other things done like new lift, gears and tires. But anyway, thanks for the reply.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I really want to do a 6.0 swap, I'm a gas motor guy. But whatever you expect to spend or the amount of time you plan for it, double those and you are ready to go :wink1:

5. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

I think a 6.0 would be awesome in a k5. The one I was looking at was in a 1500hd crew cab 4x4 and the power in that big truck was pretty good. Your right about the time it takes to do stuff. Right now the only other vehicle I have is my wife's, so I can't afford to be down for too long. Most of the things I have in mind to do so far can be done in a weekend.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

They 6.0s are great engines IMO. My Dad was a diehard Chevy 350 guy. He bought a Ford cause he didn't like the 6.0s when he test drove them. He hated the Ford, traded it on an 04 2500HD with a 6.0. After he got used tot he idea of it being a motor that likes to Rev(which was his issue with them when he first drove them), he LOVES it. He was towing my S10 project vehicle back from school for me. While pulling up a hill, he pulled away from me, UPHILL WHILE TOWING. Granted I could have downshifted and passed him, but I drove my truck like I too was towing a trailer (purposely keeping it from downshifting, keeping it in 3rd gear), and sure enough he pulled away from me.

I want to get an early 90s K2500(nbs) and put a 6.0L in it and solid axle swap it.

off topic: just noticed you are from Lake Charles. My ex was from WestLake, how do you really like it down there? I only spent a week there a couple years ago.

7. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

Sled dog, I love Lake Charles. I've been here nine years. I'm originally from a town an hour north. Lake Charles is a good combo of city and country. Here, there is lots of fishing and hunting close by, but you still have access to good stores and stuff. That's pretty cool that someone on here knows where I'm at.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yo. 6.0 Liter swapper checking in.
    In short, I LOVE my 6.0L in my '72 K5. It is freakin awsome! :saweet: except for the oil pickup issues on steep offcamber climbs.
    It requires you building a whole new crossmember, new fuel system, reworking the wiring harness, removing VATS from the computer and anything else that you want removed. It took me about a month to swap mine over because after yanking out the old engine i realized there was like 3/4" difference between the flywheel surface to bellhousing mount surface.. this was with a camaro ls1 flywheel i was trying to use for my 465 tranny. i ended up using an advance adapters flywheel, and my throwout bearing just barely worked still. an adjustable pivot would be good to help.
    For an auto th350/400, 700r4 you'll need to get a "crank spacer" and longer bolts to accept the 350/400 converter, or if you're getting a new converter made you can get a longer snout and forget the spacer.. also you'll need a flexplate that has no dish (98 fbody ls1 flexplate and slot the holes) or an adapter flexplate, tci makes one but i think the best price is through advance adapters $100ish for the flexplate and crank spacer.
    I've also read you'll need to shim the converter back just a hair like 1/8" or so by welding some spacers to the flexplate for the right converter engagement with a th350/400 so you should look into this..
    this is all from like a hundred hours of researching on ls1tech.com. you're welcome.hehe. :)

If you have any more questions you can pm me, and if anyones in Nor Cal interested in LS1 6.0 or 8.1 swaps you can PM me or kevin (k5ktpi) or our norcaloffroad.com board for getting an engine or even swapping it into your rig turnkey.

Ryan