Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.0 swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i need more power!:D my stock 89' 350 just aint cuttin it. i go out to the desert several times a month with my bro inlaw, and my truck a dog up the big mountain passes pulling a trailer with dirtbikes. could barely keep up with him when he had a 4banger tacoma. now he's got a brand new v6 tacoma with 250ponies. ive been looking into different options, rebuilding my engine with the usual head/cam/intake combo for more torque, getting a GMcrate 383 and running my TBI on it, buying a TBI friendly 350 or 383 from an engine dealer, or the coolest of them all , the 6.0 swap.

i really ,really want to swap in a 6.0litre. having modern fuel injection would be awesome. here are my problems tho.

1. it would have to pass cali's strict smog laws. this truck will have to stay street legal, shes my DD.not surewhat the requirements are on a swap like this. anyone have solid info on this?

2. i'd like to retain my functioning AC. not sure if that mean adapting my compressor onto the new engine or what.

3. computer. you have to swap the doner's computer right? how big of a job is this?

4. tranny. do you have to run an 4l60 to interact with the computer? can i run my 700r4?

5. price. where is a good outlet for used 6.0's with all the electronics for the swap. what the total cost involved for the swap?

i got a bad feeling this swap could easily get above 10grand. :eek1:

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well, i found the article i was looking for. kinda burst my bubble. still interested in the idea tho, has anyone performed an emissions-legal swap here?

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Curious as to what you found out.

If I'm not mistaken, state (federal too?) law for you says that you can swap any engine you want, as long as the displacement was available in your vehicle, right?

I recall that issue coming up with the TPI transplants in California rigs...since trucks had 305's and 350's, those swaps were legal, as long as all the Camaro emissions stuff went on the truck too.

I don't see how the 6L swap could be done legally, but there WAS a 400 offered, that's right around 6.6L...

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the JTR s10 350 swap manual, says how to get it legal in cali. they have built quite a few emission legal s10s with 350s in them that was never available from the factory. it say you need a motor that is newer than the vehicle its going into, and have all the emission stuff from the donor vehicle with the motor. other than that im no help.

the 4L60 and a 700r4 are the same thing, you are thinking of the 4L60E, BIG difference. IIRC, RyanB did his swap with a sm465, so i would think that you wouldn't need the 4L60E.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm, interesting. If that's the case, don't see why larger displacement in one of our trucks couldn't be fixed.

I suspect you could run a 700R4/4L60 instead of a 4L60E, just use the PROM (or whatever OBD2 uses) from a manual trans vehicle.

RyanB would be the pro at this here, see if he chimes in.

I'd *expect* less than optimal performance with an automatic transmission and an ECM thinking it's a manual, but OBD2 might be fine with that and adapt as necessary, whereas OBD1 can't deal with that as well.

7. toocalm

toocalm Registered Member

I was towing around some heavier equipment for a side biz I have and was not happy with the pulling power of my 87 K5...I found this website-http://www.tbichips.com/
    I got a hi performance chip and rebuilt my 700R4 with a shift kit, and the truck has all the balls I need now. Hope it helps

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well, i was thinking about the TV cable for the 700.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

From the DMV website:
    Based on these requirements as long as you transfer all sensors including any and all air intake temp and 02 sensors the swap should be legal. The 6.0 is available in the SS as well as the Escalade. Therefore since both are light duty emmisions they can be used in light duty pickups and SUVs. Hell sometimes they classify K5s as Passenger Vehicles which would allow you to put the new LS6 in:eek1: .

I will see if I can find the actual vehicle code and post it up. But the point is from all of the research I have done as long as the engine is the same year or newer and has the same emissions (i.e. light duty, heavy duty, etc.) It can be used in the vehicle in question.:D

Ira