Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.0L power problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by G.M.H, May 25, 2006.

1. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I think something may be wrong with my 2006 2500HD company truck. From a standing start, with no cargo,it will not squeak the tires when I stomp on it. It does not, as far as I can tell,have the traction control option. There is no defeat button on the dash, and it will not do it when locked in 1st gear. btw it is a 2wd/auto/6.0 litre/4.10 gears/factory locker. Tell me this is not normal please. Also, 13.4 mpg combined city/hwy, not so bad if it hauls ass, but it don't.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Torque Management. GM has built in power reduction on the newer model engines. When you slam the throttle from a stop, the PCM decides not to open the throttle all the way(drive by wire, no cable there) and it retards timing. Why? to save things like tires, rear, and most of all transmissions. A Custom tune will eliminate that real quick. www.fullsizechevy.com in their performance section of their board there is an entire subject with PID information from Torque Management.

oh and 13.4, thats better than my dad gets with his 04...

3. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

Ah, yes I forgot about the drive by wire thing. I am not really in control, am I? Are there any warranty issues with the powertune?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

would instantly void your warranty. Have to send your computer to them, they reprogram it, get rid of the Torque Management(which GM put in there to stop killing transmissions under warranty) and then you install it. That would be a no no in GMs eyes. How a tech would really know... can't say that I can think of how.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I got my PCM tuned and made a HUGE difference. Once it hits about 2500rpm it flat out HAULS ass. The 6.0's dont make alot of power down low so off the line they are always going to be slow. Removing the TQ makes it a whole new truck. It even chirps 2nd gear:D

6. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i agree that a chip works xcelent and bout the warrenty as when i pilled the chip /reprogramer out it wiped my pcm and i flat draged it to the dealer and they replaced no questions asked

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I got a whole new PCM when I did mine so IF I did have a warranty I could just slap in the stocker and they would never know.

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

You can buy Tunercat software and pull the torque management out, And top speed limiter along with several other things.