Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.0L swap #2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Mar 14, 2006.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, the old 6.2 was not going to cut it in my new k30 flatbed..
    [​IMG]
    I've been quite impressed with the power out of the 6.0L in my k5 throughout the power band. It flat out gets with the program, and doesnt stop screaming until it hits the rev limiter at 6200. :saweet:

Heres whats going to motivate my flatbed:
    Another 2004 6.0L this ones got 27,000 miles.. I'm reworking the harness myself and i'm keeping the drive by wire setup instead of converting it to a throttle cable like my k5.. (since we figured it out on my buddy's 8.1L swap) :wink1:

I had the whole setup for sale for $2500, but it found its way into the engine compartment of my tow rig. ;) Who's next for a 6.0L swap?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah a vortec 6.0L would look good between my fenders.

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I think it's great looking, but I've driven a new half ton chevy with a 6.0 and it couldn't get itself out of a wet paper bag. Are you doing anything to the engine (cam, exhaust, etc.)? My point is that I really don't see the hassle with the 6.0. The mileage isn't better, is it? Wouldn't a nice 350 be easier, make more power and cost the same money (or even less)?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 12v Cummins would be really cool in the towrig too. :D Are you going to mod the 6.0L any or just leave it stock? I haven't driven one but my boss has one he tows his boat with and he said it doesn't impress him while towing.

Harley

5. Ryan B.

performance tune, low restriciton exhaust.. maybe a few other goodies..

nah dude, my 6.0 was quite a difference compared to my healthy TPI 350 with a cam.
    The cost of rebuilding a 350 can get close to the price of a complete 6.0L.
    A performance rebuild and aluminum heads would probably cost more.
    Then add fuel injection and it would definately be more expensive. I've already been there done that.
    Tpi is way cool, but it only flows to about 5,000 rpms without major mods, and its still batch fire 80's technology.
    This 6.0 gets me a low mileage engine, sequential fire fuel injection, more power, better fuel economy, a buttload of top end power, aluminum heads, and lighter weight..
    I plan on a cam swap for my k5, 450hp & ftlbs is easily obtainable..
    2007 up 6.0's will have Displacement on demand that will gain fuel economy by something like 12% more.

This truck is a low budget tow rig, only going to be towing a few times a year.. I haven't caught that diesel bug yet.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

with way better idle and driveability than a 350 with comperable numbers.

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you sure that wasn't a 6.0 cylinder new pickup? I seriously doubt you drove a 6.0 litre new pickup and thought in didn't have enough power. My extremely heavy extended cab 2500HD will absolutely fly with the 6.0, and I has towed some serious loads that a stout 350 would want no part of. I left a furd power stroke in my dust going up the big hill on 280 on the way to grayrock and we were both towing comperable loads! On top of that it still manages a consistent 15 mpg with 4.10 gears. My wife even managed to get almost 17 mpg out of one tank. I think they are awesome, and if I weren't afraid of the wiring nightmares my '82 6.2 dually would have one!

My $.02.

Mike

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree -- I've driven my father's 6.0 2500 HD a few times as well, and I am nothing but downright impressed with that engine. That thing hauls butt! Only thing that sucks is the average of 13 - 14 mpg.

Personally, I wanna see a Duramax swap done :)

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ryan, not sure if you covered it in depth in the 8.1 swap, but how hard was the fly by wire to retrofit? I recall seeing in one of the car or truck magazines something to the effect that you just couldn't do the swap. They probably just said that for liability reasons, but obviously it had to be/is possible.

Is that the pedal for it in the third pic, lower left corner?

Too lazy to go look up specs, any idea of the weight of it, and say the 6.2?

10. Ryan B.

Yup, thats the drive by wire pedal assembly. It takes a bit of research and work (voodo magic) to keep the drive by wire and get everything working.. I should have it down by the time i get this 6.0 running.
    The pedal assembly talks to the drive by wire module which talks to the BCM which talks to the PCM. :crazy: cut one wrong wire and your screwed. :rolleyes:
    The biggest hurdle with these newer engines is bypassing the VATS system. GM did NOT want these newer trucks to be stolen. You try to hotwire it and it locks you out of the computer and you can't communicate on the ALDL. We almost toasted a scanner doing the 8.1L swap. :crazy:
    Theres so many hundreds of wires on these newer engine harnesses, it makes a TPI harness look like nothing. :rolleyes: I still have nightmares of the 8.1L wiring diagrams. :haha:

An all aluminum LS1 weighs in at about 425 lbs. add 65-70 lbs for an iron block 6.0L. So about 495 lbs for a 6.0L.
    An 8.1L weighs about 750 lbs.
    A 12 valve cummins weighs 850 lbs.
    I don't know what a 6.2 weighs in at.
    Thats based off some research and the only info i could find a few weeks ago.

11. dyeager535

Are you fitting the stock truck pedal with the fly by wire stuff or keeping the fly by wire pedal. I suspect the latter, probably pretty difficult to make the old pedal work with the fly by wire.

Man, I thought an LS1 would save some weight, but according to what the 400's weigh in the shipping weight thread, it's only about 40 pounds less.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

how you getting those for 2500?
    i am getting interested

13. Ryan B.

Yah, the pedal assembly is basically a potentiometer that ultimately drives the stepping motor on the throttle body. I don't see an easy way to put that potentiometer on an existing pedal.
    The circuits are tied into the BCM, ABS, Traction Control, Onstar, etc..
    Thats how the corvettes make use of traction control... if the wheel speed sensor is faster than the vss, then one of those computers overrides your pedal input until it catches up or whatever. :crazy:

14. dyeager535

Ahh, I wondered where all the millions of extra wires come from, but now I start thinking about all the "garbage" (accessories?) added on the new vehicles for comfort, and I can start to visualize the spaghetti. Plus the coil per cylinder, extra O2's, and so on.

Yes, the older injection wiring all piled in a heap had two big pieces: the fuse panel and the ECM. I see a few more large pieces in the 6L harness lol.

15. Ryan B.

Surpip-
    First i buy a $300 vehicle. Then i wait until a 2500HD or Escalade drives by and i plow into them making sure i total their vehicle. Then i offer to buy it back from their insurance. :p:
    I can probably set you up with a low mileage 6.0L, i can rework the harness and get the computer reprogrammed with a performance tune.. Plus Test Run the engine and send you a video clip. That'll run a little over $3K.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good choice for a towing engine. My dad has a 6.0 in his 04 2500HD. On a trip home from school with him towing the S10 me with just a bunch of crap in my bed, he walked away from my 97 C2500(5.7), uphill...

17. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

That's funny. Wow, I must have just driven a dud. (or this many people are easily satisfied with mediocre performance). It was a 4 door, 4wd, half ton with a 6.0L with an auto trans. I floored it and it was like I was trying to feed the gerbils fast enogh, but couldn't.

18. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

looks pretty sweet. i dont think i would keep that drive by wire crap. i hate it. pedal is too soft, and there is too much delay. i like a nice stiff pedal with a cable.

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have any physical specifications? Like motor mount relocating brackets, any adapters needed for the bellhousing and flywheel, et cetera?

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

TM and drive by wire. Drive by wire has the slightest lag you can notice and Torque Management in a half ton is going to dial back the HP as you get on it. Its stupid but Chevy is doing it now adays, especially in the half tons with the 1/2 ton trannys in them.