Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6/13-- immediate help needed in Dillan area

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mahorney, Jun 13, 2004.

1. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

My husband is new to the list. He took our recently purchased Jimmy 4-Wheeling in Keystone on Saturday up past Montezuma. The truck has now been stuck in snow for 48 hours. He hiked in today with ratchet straps, etc. to try to pull out, but with nothing to anchor to,was unsuccessful. We need to hire someone to pull the truck out ASAP (unfortunately we need it--it's not just a toy). Tonight is Sunday 6/13; he is camping up in the area. If anyone knows of someone with a truck/other 4WD vehicle capable of pulling him out early Monday, please contact me via the Forum or call 303-346-3500. Thanks much!!
    Christine

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Just pm'd you with a contact.

3. mahorney

Scott, Thanks. But you'll have to translate for me--pm'd? Think I may have found someone--Paul's Towing and Recovery out of Silverthorne. Much obliged for the reply.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There should be a little flashing envelope at the top of the page next to the logout button. Click on it and it will take you to the message. Click on the message to read it.

Harley

5. mahorney

Thanks again for the responses...I think we've got it covered now, but he'll be spending the night in a pup tent up near Keystone. I know he would appreciate the quick responses.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just sent a PM to Storm Trooper. I think that he lives up in that area. He may know of some folks that can help out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Thanks for the PM Harry, Yes I'm up here. I have been out of town all weekend. How far up there is he and on what trail? Pauls towing is a good company but I'm sure it's going to cost $$$. If I had been in town and got this notice earlier, I would have already had him out. Please PM me if he still needs some help. I have a winch and will do what I can. I'll always help out a fellow CK5er.
    Dave

8. mahorney

I'm down with the truck. Sorry didn't get any pics up there. Thanks to everyone who replied and rounded up the troops. I didn't know the extent of the camraderie here, but nice to see. Anyone ever needs any help I am glad too.

Story is I waited around most of the day for my neighbor and he fell through, so went up late to try and get it out and might have worked but the angle iron I brought up wasn't a heavy enough gage and the hand winch bent it. Not too happy with myself for getting in the situation, but none too happy with my neighbor for not telling me he wasn't going to be able to or didn't want to do it. Otherwise I would have been up there early Sunday morning when lots of wheelers were heading up there and would have liked to get past mine. Went with the wrecker service bc didn't know if anyone would be available on a Monday to do it. But when I got up there with wrecker early this AM, someone had left a note on my truck saying they could do it.

Was up Deer Creek above Montezuma. Webster pass is still closed, but Deer Creek is open now just two days after I got stuck up there. There's just one narrow spot then it looks clear to the top. I think it must have been a jeep come through last night. Big truck might need to move a little snow. Should be all clear by next weekend.

Thanks,
    Mark

9. HarryH3

Glad to hear that you got out with only your pride bruised. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Next time, post a note to let folks know when and where you're going, before the trip, and you may not have to go alone. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    If I would have had a post in the AM telling me where you were, I'd have came and pulled you out. Next time your heading up there, let me know and I might join you.
    Glad you made it out OK.

11. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

Is this the vehicle in question?
    [​IMG]

12. mahorney

Ha ha, yes that is it. Apparently I am now floating about the Internet. My neighbor had printed off pics as well, this one and one from the back. It was a bit steeper than the pic looks here and there was more snow on Saturday. It had melted off some on Sunday. There was a small creek running under it from the melt and it was farther down the hill when I got back up there than where I had left it. Where did you find pic?

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't you just hate selfish, self centered, wishy washy, indecisive people that that string you along and waist your time because they do not have the backbone or common courtesy to be a man about dealing with commitments to other people.

Glad to here you got your rig out safely. From the pictures, it looked like your worst nightmare come true. When it comes to wheeling, one of the most important rules is to remember is never go sideways across steep hills...only go straight up and down them.

14. mahorney

Well I was perturbed, but in all fairness this particular neighbor is usually the first to jump in and lend a hand.

I posted the full details of my adventure over at Colorado4x4 where my techniques and intentions were critiqued in a lengthy thread.

15. HarryH3

Whew!!! I hadn't seen this pic:

[​IMG]

I did something similar in Utah many years ago, but I was just trying to turn around on a trail like that and the edge gave way. The truck started sliding sideways down the mountain and I quickly abandoned ship! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif The right rear tire dug in a bit and the left rear came off the ground about a foot before settling back to terra-sorta-firma. I took the keys, locked the door and started walking. I wasn't even gonna TRY to drive out of that one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Came back the next day with a Blazer that had a winch on the front... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mrk5

I'm kind of curious how some of you all would have gotten out of that situation. God forbid I ever need to know how to get out something like that myself.

17. HarryH3

Did you read the post over at the other web site that he linked to? It tells how he finally got out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

18. mahorney

Obviously I'm no expert wheeler or I wouldn't have gotten into that mess, but I have had quite a bit of experience with tractors, mud, farming, etc...

I can say after the fact that there's a lot good to be said for hand winches given you have the right tools and parts on hand even where there are no trees. With a bunch of straps and a hand winch you have almost complete control of where the vehicle goes. You can change the pulling point and pressure on the other straps sort of like controlling how a tree falls.

More than one winch would be nice but only one is needed if you have some extra heavy duty ratchet straps to keep the tension and tie off to why you relocate the winch.

I compromised and didn't bring up heavy enough steel, not being able to carry the weight in a pack.

Even if I had had another truck up there with a winch I would have staked down the other vehicle to keep it from being pulled over the hill if the truck had rolled. And I would have ran the winch around a pully staked in up on the hill. The truck needed to come straight up the way it went down rather than back where the hill was much steeper.

I could have either winched front and back up and brought it up sideways, or tied off the back good, cut the wheels up hill, and got the front end down hill to keep it from tipping and so I could pull it straighter back up the hill and roll it instead of dragging the tires sideways.

I don't have any intentions of getting into a predicament like that again, but I'll certainly be more prepared for the worst in the future. And ditto on hearing from the experts.

Mark

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting how this happened on my birthday, humm.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    im glad it is all flat land around here, but doesnt mean that tractors and chains and winches and such dont exist here, ive had plenty of experience around all of the above, it is farm country here, big time

glad to hear all is better now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. mrk5

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you read the post over at the other web site that he linked to? It tells how he finally got out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that. I was curious about possibly being able to drive out of the situation. Or at least recovery without a tow truck, kinda like what Mark was talking about in the post above.