Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2/5 Diesels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazenkiwi, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Blazenkiwi

Blazenkiwi 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, not sure if I'm asking in the right place here but here goes, does anyone know of another engine models fuel pump that fits the above engines and can get enough fuel to make them grunt a bit harder, or alternativly does anyone know the highest rated fuel pump available for the 6.2/5, I have in my files the Stanadyne DB2 4911 is the highest rated, I am rebuilding a 6.5 at the mo, have ported the heads, had the crank, pistons, etc ballanced, turbo overhauled and port matched the heads and manifolds, using the early inlet with no egr **** to worry about and have opened it up as well, any other suggestions gladly taken on board

Cheers

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

as a non member you cant post or reply, but scroll down the list of forums and read up in the "GM Diesel" forum.

also the search bar up top works alot better, if you use the advance option and search only in the diesel forum.

you will get more info that way.
    and hey welcome to CK5 :waytogo:

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the forum!

Where did you manage to find a 6.5 in New Zealand?!

Less that, I've got no information at all, lol

4. Blazenkiwi

Hi Russ, There are plenty of 6.5/2 running around over here, and plenty of spare parts available, Bunce Motor company in Auckland is the Chev dealer and has a couple of 20 foot containers full of bits and pieces - just got to get a bit more grunt out of them, can't have those nasty litle jappas passing you up hill etc - Sould destroying when my badge says 6.2 diesel and theirs say 2.4 turbo haha

5. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know you can get a 300 hp pump from peninsular diesel, they might have a 350 hp one I don't know. Also there is a guy on thedieselpage.com who converted a pump from a different engine to work on his 6.2 he got like 500 hp, but that is very pricey and hard on our engines. They were built for economy not power.

6. mudman83

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool!

We've got an exhange student from New Plymouth here, and she tells me that there arn't a lot of yute's like mine where she lives (haha, the whole yute thing still makes me laugh :p ), so I assumed that a 6.2 would probally be pretty uncommon (they are around here anyways!)

8. Blazenkiwi

Haha Yute, thats prob her pronounciation - it's "ute" utility vehicle, my parents live in New Plymouth - Bell block, and they prob don't have as many Blazers, "yutes" etc down there as Auckland.

To all the others who have replied - thanks heaps, I'm scanning the net for any extra tips on how to get some more HP from the truck but with realiability stil being the number 1 factor

Cheers

9. Blazenkiwi

Yo Mudman, thanks for the tips, I see on your avitar you have the DB 4911 spec pump, did ya buy the truck with this fitted or did you retro fit it? if you retro fitted it how much of a power gain did you get?

Cheers

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Run some 18:1 pistons and more boost...also to properly utilize the volume of fuel the 4911 can deliver it'd be best to run some 6.5 TD injectors as well.

You might also want to run the DSP gear drive and a stud girdle over the maincaps. I'd also stress that a new balancer should be at the top of the list. They're know to go bad, followed shortly by a catastrophic crankshaft failure.

Lastly I'd make sure the truck is geared really well. Tall gears kill power.

Rene

11. mudman83

I saw a huge power gain. I could get tire squeel from a stand still and there was black smoke everywhere. It was like driving a whole new car and that was with my tired engine. I soon turned it down because of high exhaust temps, but it is still much more powerful. Before when I would wheel i couldnt get up some hills becuase I didn't have any power and it would just bog me down, but now there is no problem and I can easily go freeway speeds:D . I could have got the same gains if I just turned up my pump though, but it was leaking and had 150,000 miles on it so I decided to upgrade. It is only really worth it with a turbo which I will be getting by May when I finish building my new 6.2.