Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jan 25, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Nov 6, 2004
    Well i got it figured out what parts i would use if i rebuild the 454, and i figure i would dump a couple grand into it, and be getting 7-8 mpg.

Now what about diesel, sure its 30-50 cents more per gallon but u get double the mileage of a gas motor.
    I know the 6.2 doesnt have much power and is pretty slow, but my truck isnt gonna be fast at all lol, and i would rather have a low rpm motor rather than a 6-7000 rpm screamer.

How much do the 6.2's go for price wise and how much power can u get out of them without spending tons of cash, if im gonna spend a ton of cash i will just get a cummins.

And are the 6.5's any better than the 6.2, how much power do they have?

Im thinking i might go diesel for the fuel economy- not gonna be my dd but still wanna get a few hundred mpg out of the 40 gallons of fuel lol.
    And of course the sound of a diesel with the big stacks, now thats cool.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nov 14, 2005
    try to think of total cost vs. mpg. How much will you drive it and how will you drive it. I don't know if you'll get double the mileage from a 6.2 than a 454. I think the 454 will outperform the 6.2 also. Looks like you just maybe want to go diesel? Converting from gas to diesel will take a good investment alone without the engine cost.