Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2/6.5/? Diesel filler neck?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Jul 10, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just upgraded my 2500HD to a 60 gallon fuel tank and want to switch to a filler neck that will take the big truck stop nozzels for faster fuel ups and more options. Unfortunately, options are limited for "bolt on" upgrades of this sort, and they are very expensive. Biggest problem is with venting and "back wash" when doing this with the stock tank. But the new tank has provisions for external vents, so I thought I might be able to retro fit an older filler neck.

Of course, in my typical SOL life, I hauled away my diesel tank along with a whole pile of "scrap" several months ago, and immediately found out I needed several pieces, no including the filler neck and cap. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I tried to give it away and no one would even take it, so I junked it, and now I need one.

So, two questions.

1) Anyone have one handy to take a pick of it? I don't remember exactly how it's constructed and a pic would help me decide whether to go further down this road.

2) Anyone got one they want to unload? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. BadDog

Anybody? Even one I could borrow to see if it works?

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Russ, would a picture of my 97 work for you? Do you want the inside or outside of the filler?

4. BadDog

Not sure, but it might. Best way to figure it out I guess is to explain more of what is going on…

What I'm looking for is one of the older fill necks which were large enough to take the large nozzles at the truck stops. The newer LB7 (1st Gen) Duramax trucks have the small nozzle neck due to some brainless GM engineer who apparently decided that since they were only giving us a tiny tank, we should be forced to use the automotive pumps. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm sure there is a better explanation than that, but I can't see it and I'm aggravated.

Anyway, the new LLY trucks have the larger fill neck, and I'm not sure how far back the small neck goes. But I think your 97 should have the large neck.?

But there is a problem that prevents easy replacement of the small neck with a larger one. Some bright engineer (probably the same one responsible for tiny tanks and small filler necks) decided that it was better to create a complex filler neck arrangement with one tube inside the other. The outer tube is the vent, the inner tube is the fuel fill line. With a stock tank, there is no other vent, so filling is a mess (quite literally) for those who "open it up". After market solutions (like Transfer Flow) offer an "upgrade" that attempts to make the best of this situation, but is still less than ideal and reportedly has some issues with periodic "back wash" onto your shoes after fueling up too fast. And it costs over $150 for the privilege of installing this so-so solution yourself and periodically cleaning diesel from the side of your truck along with yourself if your unlucky enough to be standing there.

But I now have a huge SuperTank after market tank which also has provisions for external vents which gives more flexibility in dealing with the issues. What I have in mind is adapting the older fill neck into the little plastic cup on the side of my bed. The older fill necks had a tube nipple on the side to vent the tank while filling. This tube was about 5/8" or so in diameter, and my SuperTank has 3 different 3/8" nipples for venting. My plan was to tie all 3 into a header, and then run the larger hose to the filler neck vent tube.

So what I need is an older fuel neck like I had lying around for so long, until I decided to cleanup… /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Baring that, I need some dimensions to see if it’s worth scouting junk yards to find a filler.

From the top:
    1) The opening OD (where the cap screws in).
    2) The dimensional pattern for the 3(?) retaining screws (how far between any 2 since they should be the same).

From the bottom:
    1) Filler tube ID.
    2) Vent tube ID.
    3) Rough dimensions of the filler tube portion of the filler neck so I can see if it will clear the other stuff in the bed side. Basically, distance from flange to bend, angle of bend, and distance to rolled end of nipple.
    4) A picture showing the back side just for sanity check and relationships. Stuff like "is the vent nipple on the wrong side to fit" kind of thing.

That should give me an idea if it's worth taking off some time this week to visit the junk yards. The top measurements should not be any trouble in the vehicle, but the back is too much trouble unless it's already out.

Thanks for the offer…

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

OK, here is mine. Sounds like it might work for you.
    Remember, everything is for sale! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BadDog

Hmmm, have you ever used the large pumps? Looks like it would fit right up and bolt in with little or no mods. Hmmm....

Now to find one...

Thanks for the pics! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Your welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yeah, I use the big truck pumps, but they are a pain since the fuel flows so fast. My tank is rated for 36 gallons, but I have routinely put in 37+ gallons (driving into the station, such as when I got to Las Cruces). I am sure that GM factors in some expansion in the capacity ratings. I have to use the auto pumps for that maneuver, though.

Jeff and Mark put in auxillary tanks in the bed of their D-Max trucks. They tapped into some sort of a small vent line on the filler to fill the main tank. They both can fill both tanks, open the valve at the bottom of the auxillary atnk, and keep driving until both are empty (never overflows the main tank). Kinda wacks out the on board computer calculating fuel mileage. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. BadDog

Cool, I wish I had that big of a tank. Mine is dead empty on 26 gallons or so. So I start looking for fuel after burning only 15 or so just to keep from getting in a bind. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Now I have about 45-50 usable gallons. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And I looked at the in bed tanks, but just couldn't give up the bed space. Mine is just a short bed already, so there isn't much left after putting a tank in the bed.

Now if I can only find a filler neck local and cheap, then figure out how to get the hose to the bottom to reduce foaming, I'll be all set for fast fuel ups at the truck stops... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It's gonna take you longer to get out and pay than it's gonna take you to fill up. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. BadDog

Yeah, if I can just find time to get out and get one... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif My regular yard says he doesn't have anything, which means I'll probably have to go to a pnp. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Really aggravating thing is I had one around here for a couple of years in the way. I get rid of it, either gave it away or trashed it, don't remember which, and now I need it. But that's always the way when you clean up... Probably wind up costing me $20-$30 or more for something I gave away or threw away. <shaking head>

11. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I think I've got one for an 85' chevy if it would work for ya /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. BadDog

That should work, but with shipping, not worth the hassle for you or expense when I can likely get one with a few hours yard hopping. Mainly I was just hoping one of the local guys might have one lying around (like I did a few months ago <beating head on ground>) and save me trying to find the time to get to the downtown yards...

Thanks anyway.

13. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I figured you wanted local but I just put it out there /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

I just bought an '84 m1008 that I am parting out. Those had a 6.2 diesel. I think that the fuel neck is still on it. It is stored right now in Mesa. I can check it this weekend. If you are interested, and it is still there, I'd be willing to part with it. Send me a PM if you are still in the market.