Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2/6.5 initial purchase costs

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AussieK5, Aug 31, 2001.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Whats a 6.2 or 6.5 worth when bought as a running rebuilder etc. I have a local guy who imports chev bits from Canada and want to get him to bring me back some bits inc a diesel. I need to set him some upper and lower price limits so I don't get screwed over. If its a 6.5 it has to be minus the turbo, import regs dictate no turbo diesels can come in. Also, I think he does most of his sourcing from junkyards.

2. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Dude, something is only "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it. Why do you want this stuff anyways? 'Tell you what: send me a Nissan Diesel "Patrol" and i'll send ya some 6.2 stuff. okay? Or, how 'bout a Toy' Diesel 'Cruiser?

3. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Don't I know it, I just bought 2 Toyotas, FJ 40 and BJ42 (clean, little rust, ready to wheel) for $1000, sold them on for double that. I could buy 5-10 shorties for what my blazers worth here, its just they can't do what I need.

Everybody over here who is looking for real power and has extra coin is putting chev diesels in as stock patrols, Toys and such leave you wanting.

I nearly choked when I did some surfing on US Toyota sites, very expensive, but hey, you wouldn't believe what it costs to have a fullsize here.

As for its worth what you would pay for it, how much would you pay for a clean 40 with most options???? I could do some serious deals here!!

4. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Aussie, Hook me up! I'm not into the import/export business so I don't know what to do. But every once in a while I see some cool "imports" from Canada, and they sell quick! Diesels here are just starting to be recognized for what they're worth, and Toyota never imported a Diesel 4x into the States. As for Nissan, we haven't seen the Patrol in about 30yrs. You know that GM used Detroit Diesel for the powerplant, and it's considered an underdog on this side of the pond. I've seen 'em sell for less than $1k (US) for good running engines. What am I looking for? A new project: a "shorty", preferably Diesel powered. And yea, you're right. FJ-40's bring a premium right now in this corner of the World. 10-12 years ago that wasn't true, though. It's this new image that's been created by the SUV makers. You know, outdoorsy camping fishing rock-climbing stereotypes. Hell, everything on the road has a roof-rack here (kind of makes me sick)! I remember when it was odd to see a Jeep CJ on the road, and now it's a damn status symbol. Don't get me wrong, I was Jeepin' when Jeepin' wasn't cool. Crap lost my train of thought, guess I was rambling.
    Now, figure out what we need to do and let me know. Oh yea, what's a "BJ42"?

5. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I think it would be worth exporting the Toy's as parts, you know good frame, tubs, driveline etc. If its any thing like here (you have to do the LHD to RHD conversion) it seems to be better to stick with the high dollar jobs ie we get the late model chevs and fords, more margin. I've thought about it quite a bit, take a container full of Toy bits from here and return with a container of chev/ford bits. Anyhow it requires serious funding and a lot of contacts, who knows?

As for the Patrols they are a hot item here, the older models suck, but any of the GQ models onwards really retain there value Min $15000 (AU) or $7500 (US), they are just unbreakable, the standard axles are as thick as a 14ff, well overbuilt.

A BJ 42 is the designation for a diesel 5spd front disc brake shorty down here (anything with a B denotes diesel with shorties).

It seems to be that we follow trends in the US, except that we are usually 5-10 years behind, rockcrawling is just starting to emerge here, big tyres are just now becoming readily available (I paid $1200 for 4 Cooper 33 2 years ago, now you can get a set for $800). I think we too are on the verge of anything offroad being supercool.