Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2-6.5 parts interchangeability

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DukeBoy88, Feb 6, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I was looking through ebay, and came across an assortment of 6.5 parts. specifically manifolds,turbo, and assorted plumbing. my question is which parts do not swap from these two engines, my understanding so far is that many do. I'm still shopping for a 6.2 K30, and now I'm leaning towards a Diesel for my K5 instead of the 383. thanks in advance the info here is great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Nearly everything is interchangeable between a 6.2L and 6.5L. Crankshaft, camshaft, heads, fuel injection components (on mechanically injected engines), exhaust and intake manifolds, etc.

The only things that aren't are the pistons, and maybe the rods. I'm not sure about that.

The factory 6.5L turbo system will bolt up just fine to the 6.2L, but will cause interference problems in the 73-87 model pickups and 73-91 Blazers, burbs, and crew cab duallys. This only applies if those vehicles have air conditioning. The turbo won't clear the a/c evaporator without serious modifications. One guy I know replaced the whole evaporator with one out of an S-10, I think it was.

The 6.2L and 6.5L block look identical, but they are not the same. Only the 92-93 6.2L blocks ending in casting number 599 can be bored out to 6.5L dimensions. That was during the transition years. Earlier 6.2L blocks don't have enough meat in the cylinder walls to be bored out that large.

Casey

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, a turbocharged 6.2L or 6.5L diesel would be way cool for your K5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You'd have about the same power and twice the fuel mileage. You could try either the factory 6.5L turbo system or get a Banks system. The Banks would be easier to install.

Casey

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, a turbocharged 6.2L or 6.5L diesel would be way cool for your K5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You'd have about the same power and twice the fuel mileage. You could try either the factory 6.5L turbo system or get a Banks system. The Banks would be easier to install.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the ATS turbo system.
    I have the ATS and it looks like it should works as good if not better than the banks.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I only mentioned the Banks because ATS is hard to come by these days. ATS quit making 6.2L turbo systems several years ago.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your ATS system. I've never seen one in person.

Casey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah. I only mentioned the Banks because ATS is hard to come by these days. ATS quit making 6.2L turbo systems several years ago.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your ATS system. I've never seen one in person.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]Well i will try to take as many pics as I can and maybe a small Video clip.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif