Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 alternator issue

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Oct 29, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

does the alternator for a 6.2 have just one wire coming from the little bolt on the back side or is there supposed to be two? just got my first diesel and am trying to put the pieces back together to get it to run as someone has 1/2 taken a lot out.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Mine is 3 wires to the alternator. 1 on the positive post and two into a 2 prong clip.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

hhhmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i have one that runs into the wire loom and there was another homemade wire that was less than a foot with nothing on the other end of it. if i didnt have the right wires hooked up at the alt would that keep the engine from running? do you need the alt to make the engine run just to see if it does?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Don't need any electrical to make it run, just to keep the injector pump solenoid valve open (fuel flowing). Not sure but you may be able to rig up a cable shut off instead?

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't need any electrical to make it run, just to keep the injector pump solenoid valve open (fuel flowing). Not sure but you may be able to rig up a cable shut off instead?

[/ QUOTE ] this is my first diesel so i am learning a lot. i just found out (after getting the starter rebuilt) that the fuel pump shaft had broken. the fuel pump wasnt pumping any fuel. so for now i am stopped at that point. was thinking about getting an electric one but both the wife and i are between jobs atm so.... thanks for the info. definately learning /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif