Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 and 6.5 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, Mar 27, 2000.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of getting a diesel for the blazer but everyone i talk to say that the 6.2 and 6.5 pretty much are a waste of money. i think diesels are great but they all tell me to stay away from the chevy diesels or atleast wait till the new ones come out. basically i am wanting to know all pros and cons of the chevy diesel. thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

6.2's have lower than average overall power, higher than average fuel mileage, and will outlast any gas motor if you're strict with your maintenance. Low end torque is definitely above average. I don't know enough about 6.5s to comment, but I have heard grumblings about the injection pumps.........OTOH, haven't I heard a lot of grumbling about carbs too? The new Isuzu Duramax 6600 that GM is bringing out is supposed to make the powerstroke and the Cummins look real bad.........Just so you know, my Blazer has a 305 and my half-ton has a 6.2, and I really don't have a favorite. They both have their ups and downs.

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Look here for 6.2 and 6.5 information. www.thedieselpage.com
    The guy seems to have some good info on them, some of which you have to pay for but it sounds worth it if you own one of these engines.

Donovan

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have had 2 blazer/jimmy 6,2. And they both had 150'+ on them. The first I had to rebuild the diesel-pump on and that cost the dealer where I bought it a pretty penny. But the one I am driving now seems to be in much better shape. It all comes down to how the previous owners handled them. The first had all the signs of many owners and lots of easy-fixes.Leaked from engine. Live wires going everywhere and holes drilled in the roof and bumpers.Inside interiour torn up, I should have steered clear of that one.
    My current is clean and original and had only one owner before me. It startes easy and has a nice engine sound.
    On the milage isue I agree. It gulps down, but it also depends on how you drive it. If you race between stop-signs it will use alot. I try to drive like I have a cup of water on the dash, and that drasticly reduces my gas-costs.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 6.2 in my '90 K5, over 100,000 miles and no major problems. It's not real fast on the road, it feels similar in acceleration to a fuel injected 305 pickup. Off-road it's great, lot's of low end torque and it will never stall or hesitate at any severe angles, and has plenty of higher RPM power for about 90% of the mud holes and hill climbs that require a little wheelspin. As an example of mileage, I went trailriding a couple of weeks ago that involved a 200 mile round trip on pavement, and about a 7 hour long tough trail. The engine was never turned off the entire day and it only took 16 gallons to fill up when I got back home......that's 12.5 mpg, not even counting the extra 7 hours on the trail! BTW, the K5 has 35" tires, 4.10 gears, and 700r4.

6. Diesel Z57

Diesel Z57 Registered Member

Howdy,

I've got a '84 Blazer with a '92 6.2 L diesel. True, this engine has it's ups and downs, but at least for me, it's been good. If you want really good information on either the 6.2L or the 6.5L, I would recommend the GM Diesel Page. Very, very informative.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

I would give it a looksee.

-Don

'84 K5 Diesel Blazer

In case you didn't know, both the 6.2L and 6.5L were used in the AM General Hummers.

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got an 83 with 174,000 miles on it and have had to replace the injector pump twice . Both times do to my neg.(did'nt change filters often enough) . I get about 17.5 mpg . I would buy another real simple engines

8. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 with the 6.2, 38's, and 1 ton running gear. Yes it is low on horsepower but you would have to build a pretty stout 350 to get the same torque specs and you wouln't get it for 13-18mpg so it depends what you want. Mine has 170,000 miles on her and the only thing I had to replace was the injector pump at 13,000. The injectors are next on the list. Keep a good starter and get rid of the automatic glow plugs. Diesels are generally more expensive to work with compared to a 350. If you are doing a swap look for the 6.5 and try to get the tranny with it. The turbo will get you better acceleration and visit the diesel page! Should clear up any questions! Wheelin' and stinkin'!