Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 & Automatic trannys

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Apr 19, 2003.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hi,
    Looking at the old 80s commercial catalogs,i,ve seen than the 6.2 D Engine was only available with automatic transmission in the Blazer,Jimmys and Burbans.
    Why only Automatic trannys on the Diesel when his power is a lot lower than the Gas engines,which had the manual 4 speed optional?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd bet the reason is that the factory 10 bolt rear wouldn't handle the potential torque with a SM 465. I know my 81 Jimmy that came factory with a 465 and a 305 came with a 12 bolt rear instead of a 10 bolt.

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect the only pick-ups that got SM465's and the 6.2 were 3/4 and one ton.

Rene

3. 82GR8WHITE

82GR8WHITE Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Shevy really bit it with 700r4. Or is that they really shuved it to us /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Standard would have been the way to go, but instead they put a weak od tranny behind the diesel. I learned the hard way and have burned up 4 of these junky trannies before junking 1 suburban /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif and putting a turbo 400 in the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. No problems since. The diesel really needs to be kept in gear, unlike the hunt and peck of the 700r4. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Shevy really bit it with 700r4. Or is that they really shuved it to us /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Standard would have been the way to go, but instead they put a weak od tranny behind the diesel. I learned the hard way and have burned up 4 of these junky trannies before junking 1 suburban /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif and putting a turbo 400 in the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. No problems since. The diesel really needs to be kept in gear, unlike the hunt and peck of the 700r4. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I drive mine like crazy and no problems yet./forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I've got over a 100,000 miles on my 700 with no problems, and that's with lots of heavy towing. Of course, I have the updated, 1990 model. I absolutely love the 700 transmission.

Rene,

The 465 was available in half ton pickups as well. The '86 K-10 I sold had a factory 465 behind the 6.2L. I don't know why GM didn't offer it in the Blazers and subs. I don't think it had anything to do with reliability. When you think about it, there are not many Blazers or Subs with the factory 465 anyway.

Casey

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

The Th700r4 until 87´was worst than 87´to add.They was improved in a lot of points in this year.
    But i think,this engine should be utilized a lot better with the manual tranny.
    I don,t know why ,with 379 c.i it only gives 130 hp. I thougt it had 150 hp,when i bought it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    And i don,t know why GM chaged the 12 bolt axle for the 10 bolts if the first was better.For example Ford ever has mounted the 9" axle and Dana in the front... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    However the 6.2 Blazer is a nice truck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Ford always has mounted not ever. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Sorry it has been a slip /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. tRustyK5

The 'J' code is 155 hp, and with the SM 465 it moves out quite nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Casey: my bad, I wasn't aware the 1/2 ton pick-ups could be had with the SM 465...I've only ever seen the 3/4 ton and one tons like that.

Rene

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Do you know what are the diferences between the C and J codes?
    Is easy to gain the J code 25 hp in a C code?
    Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. tRustyK5

As far as I know the 'J' code just doesn't have the EGR crap. The parts truck we picked up a few months back was a 1 ton with a 'J' code...rated at 145 hp (1983). My 6.2 donor from an 85 3/4 ton was rated at 155 hp.

I don't know if there were other differences...

Rene

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

"J" engines also have different head designs, with better flowing intake and exhaust, and larger valves. "J" engines also have better performing injection pumps and injectors.

General rule of thumb, is "C" code engines deliver better fuel mileage, while "J" code engines deliver more power.

Don't worry about the tranny thing....heck, I've never even seen a 'burb or Blazer with a factory manual transmission!

Casey

12. tRustyK5

My Jimmy was a factory 4 speed truck, 305 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 10 bolt front ad 12 bolt rear with 2.73's [puke]...plus it had all the options, AC, power everything etc etc. I figure it must have been ordered that way by the original owner.

I've seen a fair amount of 4 speed K5's right through 91 but they've all been ex-forestry trucks...base models without even a radio. I've seen one Sub that was a 4 speed truck, ex-forestry too.

My 'J' code does pretty well for power, especially with the 4 speed. Less parasitic loss through the drivetrain I guess. The 4.56's help a lot too (not on the freeway though/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

On a side note of the sm465. My parts burb was a 1978 3/4 ton with a 2 barrel 305. We alwasy thought it was a 350 til I ran the numbers when I pulled it out for the Willy's.

My 89 burb has the th400 and the "J" code deezel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tRustyK5

When I got my truck I decoded the VIN and discovered it was a 305 truck originally. I then looked up the engine numbers and Dorian decoded them for me and I found out the sbc in my truck was a 4 bolt main 350 out of a 1980 one ton van /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My truck is a complete parts slut...it's had almost ever GM drivetrain and body permutation attached to it at one time or another./forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

15. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Where has the engine stamped the code numbers?
    I have been looking fot them ,but i haven,t found nothing.