Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Balancer Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jwglover, Jul 5, 2006.

1. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

I have an 88 (old body style) 3500 with a 6.2, banks turbo and a nv4500 tranny,4x4.Right after I put the 5 speed in the front balancer went bad, the key and the key way on the balancer broke. I got another one it fit on the crank tight, so I thought I was good to go. Five thousand mile late this balancer is bad. Same thing. the key is wittled down to nothing and the balancer key groove is wollered out.Whats up ?? is is somthing to witht the five speed ( the rev up and deceleration of the engine to shift ?) Also just a note,I have a 88 full size blazer 3/4 ton 350fi/350 tranny 35 inche tires and 3.73 gears, I think it pulled the trailer and the S-Ton just as good as the crewcab deseil pulling truck !!!! any help with the crank problem would be apprecieated.

2. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

Nothing ??? gee thanks guys,, I have only put up about 5-6 question of the past year,, never one answer , the biggest Gm website and never any answers. Maybe I should just ask the stupid questions like ATF or Power steering fluid, or 4 or a six inch lift for 35,that way somebody would answer. Thanks for all your help.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a few things..

Well,for one thing,your balancer dilema is probably such a rare occourance,that no one else here has had a similar problem with their 6.2!..

I've been working in junkyards and parts stores for 20+ years,and I've heard abouth them breaking crankshafts,and the balancer getting the balme,but not due to it wobbling on the crank snout..usually it separates at the rubber center section and throws the crank out of balance,and it self destructs over time..

You will never have any luck keeping the balancer on if the keyway in the crank is hogged out..perhaps some permatex "Quick Metal" or J-B Weld epoxy repair could be used to secure it in the crank,and some special locktite used to retain press fit sleeves and bearings might "glue" the balancer to the crank enough to keep it from happening again..

Another thing..there IS a diesel forum here,where your question might get more attention than in just the "garage"...if your not a paid member you cant post there though..but you can read the posts..Its a vacation week,so many posters are not online this week probably--you cant expect an answer in one day,even if everyone WAS here!...like I said before,its not every day you hear about a 6.2 having this problem....:crazy:

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep, never heard of such a problem. Although most of the 6.2s I deal with are slush boxes. I wouldn't think stick would could cause that much more abuse (especially considering some of the operators I know). Best I could suggest is if the keyway is damaged you might have to tack weld it in place (crank's buggered up anyway). Not the best solution, but easier than replacing the crank! :doah:

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If you dont like it then leave ;)

Maybe nobody knows the answer, its only been a day and a half since you posted the question, give it some time :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

did your 4x4 4500 come from a deisel ? thay have a diffrent tcase input coupler with a vibration dampaner on the slive that couples the tranny output to the tcase input.

found a pic for ya. half way down the link page posted.

and a link to a place that sells them. if you find you doo need it. but not cheep unit.http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500%20Parts.htm

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are thousands of 6.2's that have manual trannies behind them (including mine) that don't have this problem even after hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

I'd guess the balancer got bad and started workin the key eventually wollering out the keyway. Usually when the balancer goes bad the crank breaks :doah: . Might as well JB the keyway, then weld the balancer on it at this point...as Dieseldan already said that crank is done.

Rene