Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Clutch

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by red450ih, Dec 14, 2001.

1. red450ih

red450ih 1/2 ton status

I put a new clutch in my 83 K20 with SM465 trans. Now the trans makes a chatter/rattle noise at idle only. Do the Diesels use a different clutch disc than the gas engines? The next clutch I buy will be an LUK.

Thanks,
    Keith

Nashville, Tennessee

2. Heavychevy

Heavychevy Registered Member

Could this noise be from the throw out bearing? At idle, the friction disc is pinned against the flywheel by the pressure plate and is not likely to cause chatter. I know with centerforce, the 454 uses the same friction disk, if that's any help. How about going to website for centerforce clutch and look carefully at how the throwout bearing installs on the fork. I'm talking about the clips. Mine were broke and had to buy a new fork.Man, that trans is sure a bear to handle!

[centerforce.com]
    (centerforce.com)&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by Heavychevy on 12/14/01 07:33 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Heavychevy on 12/14/01 07:38 PM.</FONT></P>

3. red450ih

red450ih 1/2 ton status

It's not the throw out bearing. It's the back lash in the transmission gears that I hear. I called LUK, they said the Diesels use a different disc than a gas. A friction disc for a Diesel has to have a dampener built in to absorb the erratic idle of a Diesel. The one I bought is for a gas engine. This has driven me nuts for the last few weeks now. So anyone buying a clutch for a Diesel needs to be sure that they get the right one!

Thanks for the help!
    Keith

Nashville, Tennessee