Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Cold Starting

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Terry, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Terry

Terry Registered Member

I just bought my first diesel truck. 91' Silverado 4x4 with the 6.2.

It is hard to start when engine is cold. The truck is in the South so the nights are not that cold, maybe 30F.Starts fine when warmed up.

Spaying ether into the intake gets it started when cold.

What is this telling me? Controller, glow plugs, fuel pump?

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Don't spray ether into the intake! Ether could be ignited by the glow plugs and cause a mighty explosion, powerful enought to blow head gaskets and stretch head bolts. As far as why it's having trouble starting, it could be any number of things. Does the engine start better cold when the outside temperature is warmer? Does it start better if the block heater has been pluged in? If so you've probly got a problem with the glow plugs. If it has trouble not matter what the air temperature is it's probly somthing with the fuel system. If it has a harder time starting the longer its been sitting you've probly got an air leak in the fuel system. There are other, less likely and more expensive possiblities but those places are where I'd start.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

To add more to Goblin: is it smoking when it's cranking over? Smoke means you got fuel, but it's not lighting. If there's no smoke (or it starts to smoke then it stops) you've got a (lack of) fuel problem, usually due to an air leak in the fuel line/filter.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like Oblin Goblin stated above DON'T EVER USE ETHER ON A DIESEL WITH GLOW PLUGS.......NEVER NEVER EVER!!!!!! You'll blow the motor to bits if the GPs ignite it!!!!

Does your glow plug light come on when you turn the key? Can you hear the relay cycle? I can almost guarantee your starting problem is glow plug related, but I think we need a few more details......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The only time I have had starting problems with my '90 w/ the 6.2 has been when either the batteries were getting weak, the glow plug controller was not working, or I had a fuel problem. With everything in good shape, it has always started immediately even in below zero temperatures without the block heater plugged in.

For the batteries, the engine would seem to crank over fine but just slightly more sluggish than normal. The batteries were supplying enough juice to crank the engine, but wasn't cranking it over fast enough to start.

On the fuel problem, I had installed a new fuel filter and bled the system of air. As soon as the temp. started getting cold it wouldn't start, or required a lot of cranking. After re-bleeding the system several times and checking everything else I installed a new filter. I have had no problems in the 6 months since.........maybe it was a bad filter???

The glow plug light on the dash should light up when you turn the key on for a few seconds..............just thought, since this is your first diesel, are you letting the glow plugs cycle before cranking the engine?????? You should turn the key on and wait until the light goes off before cranking.

If the light is not coming on, or coming of sporatically, the glow plug controller could be bad. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to install new glow plugs also.

6. CustomCruiser

CustomCruiser Registered Member

A couple of qualified people have told me to use WD-40 as a diesel starting fluid. Sure enough, when I changed the fuel filter and electric pump recently, the gasoline rag trick failed. When help arrived, a shot of WD-40 while cranking worked well and fast.
    Any thoughts or opinions?

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Personally I would have the same concerns about using WD-40 as I would starting fluid. When my glow plugs were only activating periodically and my truck wouldn't start, I actually unhooked the GP power feed before using starting fluid to make sure the GP's would not ignite.

8. Terry

Terry Registered Member

The GP's seem to be cycling OK. The cold morning cycle seems to be longer in duration than the mid-day, warm engine cycle. I hear the relay click off at the end of the cycle &amp; the dashboard light works fine.

Plugging in the block heater overnight cures the starting problem so it is definitely temp. related.

I will attempt to test the GP's today with an ohm meter. Do the GP's need to be removed before they can be tested?

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

No, they don't. You can test them while they are still installed.....

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

10. Terry

Terry Registered Member

Well I tested the GP's this A.M. &amp; 5 of the 8 were bad. The truck had a mix of 60G's &amp; 11G's. All the 11G's were bad &amp; all of the 60G's were good. I found this site: (http://freeautoadvice.com/diesel/glow.html) which had a simple graphic of the test.

I bought a new set of 8 60G's at AutoZone for 7.99/each &amp; installed them today. The install was essentially trouble-free.

By the way, the price on 60G's was $12.69/each at NAPA; $9.46/each at Car Quest &amp; 7.99 @ AutoZone.

The truck fired up immediately after the install.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

11. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Excellent!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

12. René

René 1/2 ton status

Hallo everyone,
    I am also relatively new here in this forum and have a very similar problem. My 6,2l diesel don’t like cold weather. Under 50°F it starts very hard. I must glow 3 times and crank the starter 10 or more seconds. When it’s colder then 14°C I must heat the oilpan with a grill and a 135 Ah Batterie has not enough energy to start the engine. When the engine idles finally (a work of 20 minutes), I wrap up the whole neighborhood in a dark gray cloud.

I’ve changed the glowplugs (G60 instead of G13), can glow with a separate switch, the filter is new, wintertimes I use SAE 5W30 oil and the ESP gets fuel.

Thank you for ideas

René