Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 crankshaft wobble questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 20, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. so my buddy and i are trying to determine why his crank pulley is wobbling so bad. the harmonic damper looks like it needs replacing, but this does not appear to have as bad a wobble as the pulley. we also notice a slight tick/clicking noise from the front of the oil pan. we attempted to torque the pully and damper bolts down to proper specs. noticed the damper bolt was only slightly under torquedl. 2 of the three pulley bolts were very loose, the third was close to perfect torque. also, in the process of tightening the third bolt on the pulley - it happened to, well, shear right off - which really sux. how can we remove the remaining thread? thanks!!

colbystephens.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Don't take this the wrong way, but stop dickin' around and replace the dampener :D A bad balancer/dampener is the number one cause of broken cranks and cracked blocks on 6.2s. :doah: There's just not alot of meat on these motors when 19:1 compression starts hammering on them. I replaced mine just cause it was looking old ;)

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, we decided to replace the dampener - that was never really a question. we're just trying to figure out what else may make the crank appear to be wobbling. now, because the bolt sheared off of the pulley, can the whole assembly of the dampener and the pulley be removed together?

this wobble has caused the powersteering pulley to wobble as well, what are the chances that the shaft on which the p/s pulley has been damaged and thus it wobbles? or is it more likely that the pulley itself is messed up, and thus the only thing there that needs replacing is the pulley?

thanks.
    colbystephens.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

this wobble has caused the powersteering pulley to wobble as well, what are the chances that the shaft on which the p/s pulley has been damaged and thus it wobbles? or is it more likely that the pulley itself is messed up, and thus the only thing there that needs replacing is the pulley?

thanks.
    colbystephens.[/quote]

more likely its the pump bearing which are not designed for a lot ofsideload... the pulley would have to get bent to wobble...
    as posted above... dont take chances with the 6.2 crank... it will just come apart (ask KennyW)... check/replace the pump... check the pulley with a straight edge... play in the pump might not be perceptable by hand... I guess you could set it up..put a dial indicator on it spin it by hand trying to wiggle the shaft as you do and see if wobbles and moves the indicator at all.... compare that number to a new pump... replace ....

or in my case... replace anyway... they are cheap