Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 deisel. What is the Consensus?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I hear good and bad so just wondering what the general consensus is here. I have never owned one. Just test drove one and it seemed OK.

2. fallon

fallon Newbie

Diesel

I have a CUCV with 6.2 diesel. It is a very dependable engine that will run 300k. I think it depends on your driving style. I think horsepower breaks things. I like to gear way down and go. If you think about it, a horse can go anywhere and he only has one horsepower. The engine has a lot of torque and if will climb hills without starving the carb. If you want to step on the gas and blast thru, I would go with another engine. This is not a racer.

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Heres the way I see it.

Theres always a tradeoff. I took out a warmed up 350 and put in a bone stock 6.2. Now I cant turn the tires nearly as fast in the deep mud, but the way it will pull off at idle and climb over anything now at any angle is amazing. The gasser that I took out had more overall torque but this 6.2 pulls where you need it.

Things I specificaly like about the 6.2 are that while its not a cummins it really is still a very reliable engine. Its lighter than a cummins or powersmoke which was a plus for me when I decided I wanted to go diesel in my wheeler and it gets awsome economy.

I don't have much time to wheel so often my Blazer sits for a long time before I run it. This was a problem with my gasser as the fuel would quickly turn to crap and the carb was gumming up. With the 6.2 I just let it sit and sit and when I go out and fire it up it runs like I just shut it down the day before.

Oh yeah Diesel Fuel is safer than gasoline.. Another plus on any vehicle you are wheeling (or potentially flipping over)

Also Diesels are just plain out waaaaaay cooler than gassers.

Plus I have a soft spot in my heart for Detroit Diesels. :grin:

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I kind of like fool-injected gas myself...

6.2L never blowed up nobody's skirt none.

I always wanted to take a 350DX and run it. You can make a lot of power out of them (even though they're kind of weak when compared to a J-code 6.2L) and they don't fall apart like a 6.2L does when you spin it fast.

PS: a horse makes a lot more horsepower than 1 horsepower. Your legs alone generate nearly a horsepower. Imagine what a horse can do...

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I used to pull an 1840XT Case backhoe on a dual axle equip trailer. 6.2 with auto, standard cab 3/4 ton. It was not a ball of fire, but the difference tween it and the 1 ton non turbo 7.3 Ford with a 5 speed was not that great. I am thinking bout a 6.2 for my 70 Blazer, has anyone hooked up a 6.2 to a 3 speed manual? I think it would be cool land different.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I also removed a decent 355 and swapped in a 6.2 'J' code and haven't regretted it since. The get great economy, power is just fine for me...although gearing is pretty important. For a diesel it spins a pretty healthy rpm before it hits the govenor, 3600 rpm.

In the diesel forum there was just a post about the kind of power a 6.2 can make. I'll quote the post here...

I'd say spooling up to 8500 rpm before grenading is pretty impressive for a diesel. I highly doubt my old 355 would live to see 8500 rpm before chucking parts.

Rene

7. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

As far as im concerned all of this is heresay until you can really drive one... I know you said you've driven one, was it on the street?... what did you think of it? are you leaning one way or another? What will you be doing with it?

there are alot of different opinions on this subject for example some would take a 6.2 anyday and then put injectors, pump, etc on it... the same can be said for a 350 and so on... there are countless members who swear up and down that a GOOD 350 with a 4x4 cam done right will make you never want to smell diesel from a 6.2 again and vica versa. That is why You pretty much need to figure this one out for yourself... the opinions on this subject usually generate arguments because there are alot of different experiences one can get from gas and diesel motors, like what you drove, seen, heard, etc.

personally i prefer a hot 350 anyday... from the dyno tests i've seen with a 350 making 350 hp and 400 ft lbs i will never go diesel unless its a newer one but only because the torque curve on a modded and hot rodded 350 is very similar with a 4x4 truck cam 600-4600 rpm range... in fact i wouldn't be suprised if it actually surpassed the diesel at around 1100 rpm... torque is alot different then hp when it comes to rpm... a 350 that makes 397 ft lbs at 4000 rpm would has around 372 ft lbs at 2000 rpm... that tells you alot about a gassers torque curve. But again this is all just words coming out of my mouth... you need to try both of em out and see what you think...if your gonna run a 300 hp 350 or a j code 6.2 try em both out.

What do YOU want?

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Good motor for what it is. It was designed, built and used as a light duty diesel. A lot of people forget this, this isnt a medium duty motor that got shoehorned into a pickup truck engine bay. It is not a powerhouse, and without serious work will never be one. But, it is a reliable motor, gets great fuel economy, and moves itself arround just fine. It wouldnt be my first choise for towing (without a turbo), but it does just fine until you get past the 6K pound area. You will not win any drag races, but it will do it. Ive been impressed with mine, and it gets abused daily. I have an uphill entrance ramp and merge into rush hour traffic every day on the interstate, and the motor sees governor almost every single day and always when the motor is still cold. Shes still ticking, er, rather knocking :D :tongue1:

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i dissagree i think Torque breaks things, Torque is a measure of force, HP is an equasion Tq numbers mean alot more to me than HP numbers do.

10. cybrfire

Which is exactly why the question was asked. To help make an educated decision. That is why most of us come here. Nothing wrong with asking questions before plunking down the cash. Of course these are all opinions and everybody has one. Many of these are speaking from experience which I currently do not have with the 6.2 and that is what I was looking for.

Thanks everybody for the input.

11. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

i think you misunderstood the tone of that post... I was just saying that your gonna get around half or so telling you to go 6.2 and the other half telling you to go 350 or 454. I don't know your situation or what you will be using it for...towing, wheeling, dd, etc but what you will be most happy with will depend heavily on what your using it for...

12. cybrfire

For the most immediate future it will see light duty towing. Something like, raw materials and parts. Maybe a vehicle from time to time. Nothing long distance. Eventually I would like to tow my fullsize toy to Moab with it. From what I've read in this post and other research, it won't do that very well but would probably do it if I'm not in a hurry. Maybe its time to look/build another 500 CAD/nv4500/205 setup.

I love these old crew cabs but it isn't cheap to come up with a good heavy towing power plant for them. Considering the cost of fuel these days.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its hard to justify a diesel's savings if your only going short distances. Heck, you could get by with an old carbed inline six gasser at that point.

In my opinion, a well maintained 6.2 with the EGR intake is equal to the 350 in many respects, but better. I would say that the diference is mostly when you have a load- the 6.2 simply feels better pulling it than a 350 does. I dont care what the paper says, you have to go by how it acutally tows.

The 6.2 J code for me has been a great engine. Unloaded, it isnt as quick as my 350; it could be my shift time. But loaded up, the 6.2 will keep chugging along, with great fuel economy. My towing fuel economy was up over 30%

The best way to compare? Compare a 6.2 to a SBC. Compare the 6.5TD to a BBC.

I like the engine so much,that I went out and bought another truck with it. Remember, its strong points are its similarity to gas motors (big RPM band, easy starting (21:1 compression), and designed to be fuel efficient. Add relatively light weight, and was shoehorned into chevy's of all shapes and sizes- things really start taking shape.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have to admit diesels are growin on me... the 6.2 is better than an sbc for towing assuming they are both stock. auto and manual trannies make a big difference also. Hills is the only place an sbc has the advantage because you are already up to speed and need to maintain that speed with hp. up here in redding there are some pretty LONG hills where the 6.2 diesels i've seen just don't have enough hp to get up it as quick as a 350 but they will benifit from better mileage, off idle tq, and easy sniff tests. the newer diesels are a different story, although i would still rather have a hot 350 over a 6.2.

15. cybrfire

Well, here's the update.

I bought the old beast. 85 c?? says 20 but I think its actually a 30. Got to look at the vin. Does'nt really matter. It's a crewcab with a really nice interior. Now with the 79K30 that is in tatters sitting behind the shop I have all that I need to convert the C?? to 4 wheel drive and have the tow rig I always wanted.

Been doing some research on the 6.2 lately and apparently they were available with a turbo directly from the factory if it was requested. Banks designed and built the turbo for them and still sells them.(limited information here) Maybe someday I'll go down this road. There are lots of other performance upgrades available for them so I may experiment with some of these in the future. Plans now are for a small lift (4") and 35's. Something that has a decent load capacity. May be converted to a dually as well. I'll post up some pics when I get the old girl home. Need a deposit from Uncle Sam first.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Banks kit is a good power maker, but it is a little expensive IMO. A lot of guys piece together a turbo set-up using factory 6.5TD parts.

You can find a lot of info on this in the diesel forum here. arveetek and Agdieseler both have good info on this. Agdieseler has a website with a ton of great 6.2 info as well. http://www.oliverdiesel.com/tech.htm

Rene

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

its a 1 ton. No crew cabs ever came in anything less. (that i am aware of)

Gearing is of utmost importance. The right matching tire, rear end, and tranny ratios are important in getting great MPG and great towing capability.

Oliverdiesel really knows their stuff when it comes to the 6.2- I've searched the net for info, and they acutally have some of the best. (I cant comment on the diesel page though I hear they have tremendous amounts of info).

18. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i have a 6.2, it's my DD and my weekend wheeler and i love it. I'm not geared down yet but it still has yet to disappoint me. I would like to have a turbo but as TRusty put it "a little to pricey for me". I would like to have a gasser blazer also just to have something to build some real HP with but thats a ways in the future.

19. grape

grape Registered Member

I wasted a ton of money on a banks set up, which i should have known better. You guys can see what i built on agdiesel'er's site......last name=screename. But trust me, big hp is definately not cheap in the 6.2 6.5 catagory. If you are looking for more than 200 hp, you'll have almost as much $$$$ in injection pump and injectors, as you would a complete banks turbo.......

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I like mine. I've had it almost 3 years. I find it less temperamental than the gas engines I've owned previously.