Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6,2 diesel in a 59 Chevy Biscayne!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BelAir, Oct 4, 2002.

1. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Hi all. Have bought a cheap 59 Biscayne 4 door post to be my daily beater during winter here in Norway. Due to outrageous gasprices I am installing a 6,2 diesel from an 83 van. Now, these engines have a very poor reputation here, and an overhaul shop told me that among other tings the engine failure was mainly due to poor balancing of rods, keeping injectors good, and general maintenance.
    Now, the Biscayne had a 348 with side motor mounts, coupled to a TH350. I am buying a brand new converter for diesel for the TH350, the box has been prepped for the 348 300+ horsepower, so it should handle the torque of the diesel?
    Looks like the motormounts will fit, any thoughts arount this swap?

2. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Interesting swap, I've been considering something similar as 6.2's are becoming plentiful in junkyards. From a bolting in standpoint, I don't think you will have any problems, should be plenty of room, the oil sump is in the right place, cooling won't be a problem and even the weight of an early W motor is likely similar. The turbo 350 does however have a vacuum modulator that will need to have a connection. Possibly the vacuum regulator valve that was used on turbo 400 equiped diesel trucks will work or B&M makes a mechanical device to replace the vacuum modulator on engines with poor vacuum or superchargers. I realize gas is expensive there, but for this to make any economic sense, I would think you would need to get a very good deal on the diesel and get a decent price selling the 348. I would also suggest getting the entire donor vehicle, and when your done throw what you don't need away. The small parts you will need that dont come with the engine is what will nickle and dime you to death.

3. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Hi. It makes sense moneywise: I will run it on Heating Oil No 1, which is actually the same diesel that tractors and boats run on here, and that is tax-exempt. It has color code in it, and you are not supposed to run cars on it. But
    in Norway cars over 30 years are tax-free, no road tax, no change of owner-fee, cheap insurance, no biannual EEC-vehicle control and so on....
    Dont really have to sell the 348, only gave like $500 for the 6.2, and it came with all the small parts. Even had the guy cut off the front portion of the exhaust tubes from the donor van, so no I only have to weld on flanges to connect to where the 348 headers connected before.
    Will see how long the 6,2 holds up, really bought it to see if such an engine would fit, and to get all the apparel:starter, dynamo, pulleys, manifolds and so on.
    A local shop sells overhauled 6,2 with guarantees at $ 3 000, so if this one fits, drives and when it gives up, I`ll swap it for the rebuilt one, and have many sevice free miles, I hope.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah that is a great idea, I know when I was in the middle east and France, diesel prices were half gas prices and since they are almost twice as efficient it made sence for everybody to convert to diesel, and we had the same thing for heating fuel, no tax. All we had to do is refuel at home only and we were getting much cheaper fuel.
    I wish it was the same here /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    How much is diesel fuel in norway compared to gas?
    IceMan