Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Diesel Relibilty

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigbear8, May 19, 2001.

1. bigbear8

bigbear8 Registered Member

is the 6.2 diesel a reliable engine. are there any design flaws do certan parts( ex. injector pump, vac pump) prone to failure
    what is the life of one of these engines?

the only reason i am asking is because i am currently looking for a diesel. and i am very unfimilier with the 6.2

any info on this engine would be a great help.

Big bear 8
    was that a souped up civic i just ran over?

2. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

well I am having to change the frame on my '82 6.2 right now. i have 113,00 miles which is relatively low but it runs perfect. I have never had any serious problems for the 4-5 yrs i have been driving it. the only problem that has come up is dealing with the glow plug controler burning up my glowplugs. this was fixed by installing a manual switch. that cured the problem and everything has been great. umm one other comment is that the starter is pretty expensive but just get a good one and everything will be great. I know a guy in my home town who has a 83 sub and he has over 435,000 on his. so in my opinion this is a great engine. it dosent have the power of a newer diesel but it is a N/A little diesel but it will get the job done. Your little statement is kinda funny to me because it was a honda civic that i ran into. the guy ran a stop sign and i t boned him going 30-35. it was such a hit taht my back glass shattered and went flying foward and it bent my frame good enough for me to have to get another one. well i hope this helps. take care,
    sergio

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you take good care of a 6.2, you can expect to get 400-500,000 miles out of her before she's toast. Although maintenance is more expensive on a diesel, you'll be way ahead in the end because of the outstanding fuel mileage you'll get(between 19-24 MPG). You also have to run a quality fuel additive on a regular basis to keep things lubed up and clean.

GM, in their infinite wisdom(?), decided to use a British-made vacuum pump for the 6.2. As can be expected, they have a bad rep. The Lucas pump will run you around $300. There have also been some issues with the Stanadyne injection pump, but most of the problems can be traced back to poor maintenance.

In short, if you take care of a 6.2, she'll take care of you...........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

It's a good motor, when operated as designed. It's not as heavy a hauler as a Cummins or Power Stroke but it was never meant to be.

Use only AC Delco glow plug controllers. Stay up to date on the best/recent glow plugs. Mechanical (DB2) pumps should last 100,000 mi, they're relatively cheap. (DB4 Electronically controlled pumps 6.5 had some problems went we went to low sulfur fuel). Most 6.2s develop cracks in the heads between the end cylinder valves, rarely do the go deep enough to cause a problem and they CAN be fixed. I'm not sure how they're more expensive to maintain? Fuel and oil filters are cheap. If you get one read the DieselPage web site.

I wish GM kept the 6.5 in addition to the new Duramax. It's still a good K5 & 1/2ton motor.

5. Can Can

Well..........let's see. My 84 305 Blazer:

1 Air filter per year
    1 oil change every 5000 kms
    1 fuel filter every 20,000 kms

My 83 6.2:

3 Air filters per year
    1 oil change every 2500 kms
    2 fuel filters per year(one of which cost $27)
    5 $20 bottles of Stanadyne brand diesel fuel conditioner per year

Looks like general maintenance costs a wee bit more for my diesel. It does equal out when you consider that you never have to replace wires, cap and rotor, and spark plugs, but only until you have to replace your glow plugs($23 each).

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 84 k5, it had a new 6.2 in it. The only reason the previous changed it out was because it had 237k miles on it and he got a damn good deal on a new one.

7. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Only have had to change the glow plug controller on mine. I know a guy who had 330 K on his and said he would drive it cross country without thinking twice about it.

You call that dirty!?

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I love my 6.2 !!! Very well built and easy to fix !! I have about 180,000 miles on it and have had simple problems . I replaced the injector pump twice due to not changing the fuel filters often enough . It's no powerhouse , but who cares !! Fuel mileage and reliability make up for it !!!

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Glow plugs for $23.00 EACH? Yow, I think you need to shop around a little more. It's like anything, someone always willing to gouge ya alittle. The Stanadyne fuel treatment is gravy (good stuff for longetivety, but not necessary). I could add Techron to the bill for me gasser, too. Hey, we burn JP8 jet fuel from time to time and that stuff can't be good for an injection pump, yet they survive.

10. Can Can

Dan- Up here in Canada, everything is a little bit more expensive. The fact that I live in a small town in the Rockies doesn't help either. And keep in mind that most of our parts are brought in from the States- the middle man and the Government have to take their share too.

I won't even start taliking about beer and tobacco prices..............[​IMG]