Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 diesel towing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

looking at getting a cheap tow rig for the k5 and was looking for a cheap diesel could the 6.2 be up for the job, if not any cheap ideas would be nice

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

As long as you are not racing anybody, it should do it.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats what I am thinking too... I wan't a really clean 89-91 blazer with a 6.2 and hopefully the banks turbo option. I wan't to use it as a DD and tow my 85' down to pismo beach so I can run paddles and romp on it without the worry of having to drive it back home. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

GO for it, sometimes 6.2 diesel blazers go for cheap.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It would NOT be wise to tow a K5 with another K5. If you are talking about a Suburban or 3/4-1 ton with a 6.2 then no big deal.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've owned a 6.2 powered K5 for almost 6 years. While it has adequate power on the road and does, in my opinion, pretty good on the trail, I can't imagine towing a K5 on a trailer with it.........can you say "DOG".

If you put a turbo and some other upgrades it probably would be pretty decent for towing that much, just don't expect Powerstroke or Cummins performance out of it.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    It would NOT be wise to tow a K5 with another K5. If you are talking about a Suburban or 3/4-1 ton with a 6.2 then no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ] I disagree in one since because I have towed a lot of weight with my big K5 before on my 2 axle trailer before, I'm also hauling a 79' f150 4x4 this weekend 100 miles from here with my K5 and trailer. I think you just need to know how to tow very well and get to know your K5 before you put much weight behind it. 3/4 brakes are a must when towing anything heavy. I am very carefull when towing something relativly heavy and I would feel more comfortable if I was using a stock heigth 3/4 blazer.
    I relize the amount of weight I have and understand how a SWB rig tows and am extra cautious like many of us.

On the otherhand I do agree with you that a lot of people don't relize physics and how things tow when it comes to a SWB rig.