Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 diesel tranny swap help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by woods, Jun 13, 2006.

1. woods

woods Registered Member

Looking for some information on how to wire a tranmission up. My dad is trying to put in an 700R

1985 GMC high sierra 6.2L is the truck the transmission is getting put into.
    Old tranny(broke)
    Markings on housing-HD 28
    On ID plate 85 FF 3288 and F 011 F

Swap in tranny
    markings on housing-K 7
    on ID plate G791X 92C69 or 92669(couldnt read 100%)

how this isn't a repost:)

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't know what you're actually trying to ask, but here's some info for you.

when you say "wire a transmission up" this doesn't mean much to me. the 700r4 has an electrical connection which is on the drivers side - but that's pretty much it in terms of wiring.

i assume that you are posting up ID numbers b/c you want to make sure it's the right tranny. the easiest way to identify the right one is to look at the tranny pan and make sure that they are the same, as each tranny gm used has a different tranny pan which can be used as an ID.

the things you need to be cautious of:
    - since it's going behind a 6.2, you must make sure that this tranny either came out of a truck w/ a 6.2, or you will need to replace the torque converter with one which is designed to be behind the 6.2, and you will probably need to take care of the governor, as 6.2s are governed to 3600 rpm.