Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Diesel vs. 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdubya, Jun 15, 2005.

1. rdubya

rdubya Registered Member

Hey guys, I'm not a full member of this site so I can't post in the diesel section, so I'm gonna put this here, hope that's not a problem! Anyways, I'm gonna be buying a k5 soon, and one thing I'm considering is finding one with a 6.2l diesel. I'm 16, and being young (and dumb) I want something that is fairly quick. say your stopped at a stoplight, a 6.2 next to a 350, with all the same stuff (tires, gearing?) how would they compare? I'm guessing the diesel will be slower, but I"m not sure. I think it would be awesome to have an old diesel for the mileage, and pulling power, but I don't want to drive something that can't get out of it's own way, stock. I'd appreciate any input on this! thanks,
    ryan

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

From what i hear, the old diesels are dogs. They don't put out much power or torque at all for a diesel. Yes they do get great mileage, but they are not turbo charged, and thats where diesels get a ton of their power. I wanted a diesel one for the mileage, but my 350s made me happy too.

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I've been researching the diesel stuff for the last few weeks, since I thought I was going to do a diesel swap on my K5 along with the body swap. Instead, I found another K5 with a 350, and I'm trying to sell the motor I had built. Don't ask why, just search the forum for "FIRE" and you'll understand. I was actually leaning towards a Nissan "Big Truck" diesel, which is similar in size and power to a Cummins 4BT, but much lighter in weight and on the pocketbook. The 6.2 just didn't do anything for me, and I don't find it to be a very good engine. I feel the 6.2 is the sole reason for guys like us looking for alternatives, and settling on the Cummins line... some have done the 6BT 5.9L, some have done the 4BT 3.9L, but all who have done one say they won't ever drive a 6.2 powered rig again... ok maybe not all, but the majority of people hate the 6.2L GM diesel. If you have the time, the knowledge, and the money to do it, find a nice bodied K5 with a blown engine, and just do a swap to a Cummins or other non GM diesel.

4. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

I'm happy with my 6.2 and it's performance on the street. However, I drive like an old man. It climbs like a hoss and gets exceptional mileage though. With 6", 35's, TH-400 and 3.08's, I get better than 20 mpg mixed with town and hwy. If you're looking for quickness or playing in a lot of mud, don't go with a 6.2. Diesels are too heavy to be very effective in thick, deep mud. I am in the long process of building a turbo 6.2 to replace the current engine once it dies.

If I were to do alot of climbing, I'd either go with a diesel or a FI gas engine.

5. rdubya

rdubya Registered Member

thanks for the replys. I might stick to getting one with a 350. mileage isn't a huge thing for me, but it would be nice to get as much as possible. I don't have the money to do a cummins swap either. thanks again! later,
    ryan

6. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

My buddy just got a new toy and he said it doesn't have much power at all in the sand. It's got 4.56's and a t400/205 (not sure what he gets for mileage) but he's not to impressed with the power. If it were me i'd get an old 350/305 and save up for a tpi swap later on! .....Where at in KS are you from?

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

And 95% of them have never owned, nor been arround one. They just "hear" that its a bad motor, mostly from people who try and tell you its a converted gasser. Thanks to the 5.7 olds diesel, most still are under the impression that its a converted gasser.

I love my 6.2. Sure, it is slow, but its fast enough for me. I love wheeling it, the low down torque is great, and it barely uses any fuel on the trail. Generally i drive 240 miles, wheel for 8 hours, and burn off just under a 1/4 tank. This is 14 hours of non-stop running, i never shut it down on the trail. Im closing in on a 1/4 million miles, and now that i have gotten rid of the OEM starter, it flashes up like nothing, gets me 21-23mpg, and only burns off a quart of oil every 1200-1500 miles. It tows lighter loads very well, and does as well as any non-turbo diesel with a good sized load behind it.

As for sand, with an auto i have embarassed more than one person in the hillclimbs, including one 2k3 Cummins powered dodge. There are plenty of vehicles that will outclimb it no doubt, but it isnt just some dog that wont make climbs. The key is in the gearing, and the willingness to hold the stupid pedal to the floor and let the tranny keep it at redline.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry, but complete and total bullsh!t. Why not try and speak from first hand experience rather than weak second hand BS? I swapped a 6.2 into my jimmy and was happy as hell to be rid of my 350.

The 6.2 is a long lasting fuel efficient engine and the majority of people on this site that run them like them just fine. In fact many of us fall into the 'rabid diesel fan' catagory.

I've had my Jimmy for 8 years now. Many different tire, gear and engine combo's I can tell you about first hand. My old 355 used to pull decently, but i wouldn't call it fast. My 6.2 also pulls decently, but I wouldn't call it fast either. side by each in a straight up drag...I think the 355 I had may win by a hair. The difference in acceleration isn't that much at all in my experience, and both engines are crippled by my SM465's wide ratios.

The only reason for a 6BT swap is for a Tow rig, and you better have realtively deep pockets. Great engine, but it probably outweighs the 6.2 by 400 lbs or more. 4BT is also a decent engine, but in stock form is no faster than a 6.2. Yes it can be bombed but the 6.2 could also be turbo'd...

The 6.2 makes it's power much differently than a 350, way more off idle and low end torque. The 6.2 is more than capable of getting double the fuel mileage of a 350. The 6.2 will also run at any angle, has no carb or distributor to worry about and uses a much less volatile fuel (not very likely to ever have a diesel fuel fire underhood...)

Maintenance and repair costs are not far off what you'd spend on a gas engine. The real expense is when rebuilding. They probably cost about double to rebuild...

My last point...the majority of trucks that run 6.2's are poorly geared from the factory. GM tried to maximize fuel economy with this engine, and they were sucessful in that regard...however the gearing is what really made them so slow. Take a factory 6.2 K5, add a cheap 'j' code manifold and swap the gears for something deeper like 4.56's and you'll find the 6.2 has more than enough power.

Rene

9. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

the only time I have with the 6.2 is when I was in the army, all the mechanics said they had a weak craink. In 8 years I never saw one break, and the 6.2 doesnt feel as responsive as a 350,but I never felt like we werent going to make it up the hill do to a lack of power. and for the record I have a 350, but if a 6.2 presents it self,I'll take it :D

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The cranks aren't weak, but the harmonic balancers are known to wear, fall apart and then the crank breaks. Root cause is not the crank though.

Rene

11. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

good to know ! I'm about 99% going to do this swap

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The worst thing I have found about the 6.2/6.5 is finding one. Up here in truck country with mountains no one wants to give one up. And if folks want to keep em there must be something to em.

I'm slowly building a '79 K5 trail only rig and holding out for a diesel for the fuel injection and low end torque for rock crawling. Also hoping it will be able to pull well in low range with 4.10s and 38s :D

13. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

you can lump me in the "rabid diesel fanatic" category for sure. I would like to second everything Rene said. I swapped a 6.2 into my blazer in place of my 350 and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I love the way the torque comes in with my 6.2 as opposed to my 350 and I don't think you gas guys will ever understand untill you drive the exact same truck with a gas and then a diesel, and theres no ammount of numbers and charts you can throw out here on ck5 that will compare to actually driving one. The only down side to my 6.2 is that in thick mud when my boggers load up and im trying to climb through the gears the sm465's wide spread makes the engine really loose steam. With my gas engine I could just stay in a lower gear and wind it out untill I started throwing mud. I mostly crawl and do trails so this is not a big issue with me but it may be something to consider. Iv been driving my father's k5 with a 350 gasser in it this week and while I really enjoying driving a K5 I don't see how you gas guys can stand the lack of fuel economy.

14. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

:grin: Count me in on the love of this Diesel. :D This is my first to drive and own one. Yeah stock going uphill with a load sucks!! But I don't miss seeing the gas station as much! I just wish I could find a newer sub with Diesel, like a 2000 model.

15. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Rene and Robert. I have a had OK luck with my 6.2s. my m1009 has done fine by me. The little wheeling i did before i had to park it for a while. I loved it! Wheel for hours and the needle would bearly move. OK by me towing as well, but when it gets hilly. Wish i had more motor. other then that is been good. There is now a few m1008s, m1009s in my family. A m1031 and m1010 on the way. One of the m1009 has a 230k on it still going strong. hope this help.

mike

16. ChevyDan

ChevyDan Registered Member

Question ?

I'm curious as to what, (if any), diesel came stock in an '89 1500 series.. I currently have a 350 that runs decently, but the gas mileage is killing me and I am interested in possibly swapping in a diesel for some difference at the pumps.. (sorry for the hijack) :D

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dan, in 89, there was the 6.2 diesel avaliable. Turbo's were avaliable in Mid year of 92, so both the 6.2 and the 6.5TD's were sold.

I dont know if you'd acutally gain any $$$ gains from switching from one to the other- The amount of labor, work, parts, etc... make it a difficult switch. Figure out your mileage, and your fuel economy and see how long the payback is.

You might be better off just finding a diesel truck to start with. Unless you get one dirt cheap.

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, unfortunately, I've fallen into that catagory as well... :p: Just something about it... if I had the money, I'd convert everything I got to diesel...

19. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

How hard or costly is it to switch from a 350 to a 6.2?

later
    jmd

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thanks fort this post. It answered a bunch of my questions. I am curious, for thoseof you with 6.2's are they stock or turboed? I have wanted to get a CUCV and build it up, truggy and all, strictly for a wheeler. Most everyhitng was a plus: decent mileage, decent power, already 1 ton, no smog (im in CA, woo hoo!), ugly body style (sorry im a first gen fan), ect. But then I read about how their turds, so I figured I could always build a nice gas engine later down the road. It sounds to me as the 6.2 is a plenty capable engine, espically after being turboed. Im happy to here from some guys with real workd wheeling experience. How would it be with towing a trailer with a car, across the U.S. though? SOrry for all the more questions.