Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 diesel vs. 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im currently looking for a 6.2 diesel to rebuild and put into my truck. I plan to put a turbo on it and any other power mods that will help it make more power. Ive never really got to experience what kind of power a 6.2 will make so I thought id ask anyone who has ran one to compare it to other motors. Id like to know how it would compare to my built 350 that I run now. I really cant afford any power loss from what I have now. What kind of gas motor would compare to a turbo'd 6.2?

2. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

my friend has a turbo 6.2 in his 83 3/4 ton suburban. Its just about as quick as my 91 1/2 ton suburban with tbi 350 and 3 inch single exhaust. He has 4.10 gears with 33s, and I have 3.42s with 31s.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What will you be doing with the truck? It is hard to beat the low end torque of a diesel. You may break more stuff, but it is all in good fun, right.

4. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a friend with a turbo 6.2 in a blazer and its about the same power wise as my stock tbi 350 in my blazer. I am sure he has more torque than me but its not any faster. It depends on what you plan on doing with it.

5. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

I agree with everyone else that you'll get around the same power most likely. The best advantage for the 6.2 is great power with low RPM and great MPG. Also, the 6.2 has a very long life before it needs a rebuild.

6. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The long life thing is not always true because I know a few people who have blown head gaskets with less than 100,000 miles on the engine.

7. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

My truck is my daily driver, by the time im ready for the diesel it will have 41's on it so I need something that will move my heavy truck pretty well around town. I wheel it occasionally but nothing outrageous and no deep mud bogs or anything. Probably the most strain I put on it is when I pull and haul firewood logs and sawmill logs. I mostly want the diesel for mpg. Im not worried about speed really but I cant hardly run anything with less power than my 350 because its starting to strain with 37's. So you all think a turbo'd 6.2 would be about the same as a 350? Ive heard of people getting 450 lb ft of torque from 6.2's, thats probably quite a bit more than my 350 is putting out right? I guess with the diesel its a different kind of power.

8. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

If your wanting it strickly for better gas mileage while it is true it will be better diesel gas is quite a bit more than gas right now. Also the up keep will cost more like oil changes and so forth.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 6.2L uses the same oil filer, and same amount of oil as a SBC or BBC. :rolleyes:

IMO, the cheapest turbo setup is to swipe it from a blown-up 6.5TD. ;)

You can also do propane on a NA diesel.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Propane%20article.html

I'm not sure I would spend a whole bunch of $$$$ rebuilding a 6.2L.... there's other diesels I'd rather rebuild, or even run used.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was going to do a diesel swap in my truck then run cooking oil for free fuel...

however this is what I found...

6.2 non turbo = 135hp
    6.2 turbo = 155hp

forget the torque specs but all I can say is NO WAY !!!!!!!

bought vortec heads, intake and comp cams xtreme 4x4 cam (small one .454" lift)

I should be waking my motor up from
    195hp/295lb-ft torque to
    325hp/465lb-ft torque....

:bow:

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I hope you are not dead set on getting 465 ft lbs from a 350 naturally aspirated....

12. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

400 ft.lbs. is reachable.

13. Livelli

Livelli Registered Member

Ive got a stock 6.2NA in my 85 blazer, it's great for running Fire Dept. calls. Its true what they say about torque. I wad a leutennant of mine get his 98 318cid Ram 1500 4x4 stuck in the mud by his house. I rolled up, hooked to it, dropped to 4-lo, and tugged the stuck dodge out without barely breaking 2k rpm. If you do plan to rebuild a 379, DO NOT use a timing chain set. Get up with Diesel Service Group and get their gear drive conversion. The 6.2 has a reputation as a crappy engine, but is only because of its failures related to shearing crankshafts and snapping its timing chain. It'll cost you between $300 to $400 for the kit, but the engine will last you a whole lot longer. I'm using my tax return to buy and rebuild a 6.2 to replace mine, next years return goes to the Banks sidewinder. The only other advice I have is if your looking for a used motor, try to fing a 'J' code engine, with serpentine belt as opposed to V-belt. They're known to have a bit more power and reliability. Other than that, just have fun with your fuel-oil and powerplant.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The torque numbers do make a difference in the "seat-of-the-pants" feel of the engine despite the horsepower numbers.

If you look at Banks webpage, they claim they can get around 200 hp and 380-ish ft.lbs. out of a turboed 6.2. This seems consistent with peoples claims that adding a turbo to the 6.2 makes it feel "like a healthy 350 TBI".

Regarding the previous claim of getting 465 ft-lbs. from a 350.......well, good luck doing that with a few bolt-on parts. Did you mean to type in 365?

15. RootBreaker

errr no...

I am not sure what it will finally be.... I know my current motor is 195hp/295lb-ft torque... as per 9c1.com tech brochure... 1991 caprice police 350....

in desktop dyno I put in the caprice motor stock (got cam specs and all from someone) then thew my stuff... full tube headers, 670cfm carb, dual plane intake, vortec heads and comp cams cam..... and that is what the numbers came up to be... but I will dyno the truck in the summer so I "KNOW" what I have... :wink1:

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, I hope you can do it.........keep us updated. Just keep in mind those numbers are a higher torque rating than even a GM ZZ383 crate motor with aluminum heads, or the HT383, etc....

17. RootBreaker

yeah... i really dont care.. just dont have that much power now and it sucks...

desktop dyno with stock setup...
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/246522/original/Stock9c1.JPG

desktop dyno with stock cam and addons
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/246523/original/Worked%209C1%20Stock%20Cam.JPG

dont know where I put my one with the new cam.....

<hijack Off>

18. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I will chime in and say that when I swapped my carb'd 350 out and put in a 6.2TD the only thing I noticed is that I was shifting my SM465 a lot more offten and much better fuel economy. The seat-of-the-pants feeling is very similar ... for a true test I have to put the camper on. Luckly up here diesel is actually cheaper that gas ... if it was the other way around the swap would be dibatable.

The question really becomes how much you want to spend ...
    As mentioned before, there are better engine to build, I can think of the the 12V cummins as one. If you want to rebuld for performace, reliability, and fuel economy get an 82' block with 97+ 6.5TD heads, DB2-4911 Injector pump, 6.5TD Turbo (complete), stud girdle kit, gear driven timing chain, I am sure there is more. Make sure you check the block for cracked web mains. The heads may ba cracked also but that's common and doesn't always affect anything.

What ever you do with the 6.2 get some guages especially EGT, don't want to see anything over 1100

19. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Could anyone tell me about how much horsepower and torque you think my 350 has? Its the original motor but has low miles. Last fall I put a dual pattern cam with a lift of about 430 intake/450exhaust, I cant remember exactly. I also put an edelbrock intake, headers, 3 inch Flowmasters, and MSD ignition. It still has the stock carb. I was just going to compare the numbers from my motor to what I could get out of a 6.2. If I do build one its gonna be done right, ive already looked into all the parts like the gear driven timing set and what year motors are best. So would a stock 6.2 without a turbo be a turd? Ive never driven a 6.2 powered truck. Ive driven a duallie dodge with a 12v Cummins and I wasnt really impressed but I know they can be made into pretty good motors. How would a 6.2 compare to an old 12 valve Cummins?

20. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

If Its a normal 350 with 1.94/150 valves, and compression in the 8s, I would guess 250hp 330ftlb of torque. One thing though if you havnt rejetted your stock carb you are probably running lean so you might not be making this. Plus if you are running lean on older heads (not hardened seats) you will wear out the exhaust seats much faster than if jetted properly.