Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Diesels and starting during cold weather

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 29, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

2 days ago the temperature dropped a bit, and the last 3 mornings, starting my 6.2 Diesel the first time each day has become a 10-20 minute job, having me worried about wearing out the starter and wondering whats going on. The last 2 days I had it plugged in all night and it didn't make a difference.

What's typical for a 6.2 Diesel starting in colder weather?

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

your glow plugs might be goin out.mine only starts when its at least 45F.I have no glow plugs that work just use starting fluid.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Can you hear if the block heater is working? Should sound a little like bacon sizzling, especially right after you plug it in. Also check the glow plugs, if they are bad chances are it will be almost impossible to start, plugged in or not.

Also, check both batteries out, battery cables and end terminals. Good batteries, cables and connections are critical.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Glow plugs..

I replaced 7 of my glow plugs (one wont come out--F*** IT!)and I bypassed the controller with a pushbutton switch,to manually hold them on as long as I want--I wait 10 seconds,then crank,unless its sub-zero out,then I hold it a little longer--its starts every time,and it got to -10 here last winter--I only plugged mine in once!..(and didn't really notice much difference in starting--but it did sound a lot less clattery,and I got instant heat! :laugh: )..

I'd check the glow plugs if I were you..I have an aftermarket electric fuel pump right after the fuel tank to assist the stock one on the motor--I think that helps a lot to fire it up faster too..but mostly the glow plugs were the main reason mine wouldn't start--I put AC G60 glow plugs in mine--68 bucks for 8 at autozone! :eek1: once I did that,and wired up the pushbuton,it starts every time(though I do have to spin it over 5-10 seconds before it fires up)..I also have to push the gas pedal down 3/4 to full throttle to get it to start the quickest!..

I'd never use starting fluid unless my life was in danger!..its instant death for a 6.2 -I've heard of many shattering pistons with ether!..I do keep some in the truck in case I run out of fuel and needed to prime the system to get it going--but I vow to never let that happen--I use it more on my mowers and chain saw than anything else!.. :rolleyes:

WD-40 works as well,and is safer for the engine..my friend used his sisters hair spray to get his balky 6.2 started last winter! :haha: --he called and asked me to go help,or what to try first --then called back and said "nevermind,I got it started"--"Did you use WD-40"? I asked--
    NO--ALBERTO VO-5 !!" :bow: :haha:

If you feel you MUST use ether,disable the glow plugs by pulling the 2 prong plug off the top of the "ford solenoid" looking glow plug relay on the drivers side inner fender,and get the motor spinning over good BEFORE spraying the starting fluid in,to avoid binding and horrible spark knocking noises ,and jamming the bendinx drive in the flywheel--I had to replace the bendix in my truck--it was 35 bucks just for a rebuilt--70 for a new one! :eek1: .. :( ..dont want to buy that starter--its 150 bucks at most stores! :eek1: ... :crazy:

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 3 mornings of hard starting has possibly affected the batteries and overheated the starter - causing the cranking speed to slow down. These diesels need nice, quick cranking to start.

I suspect glow plugs being the culprit since you didn't have trouble until the cold mornings.

I plug my block heater in when we get overnight frost.

The most glow I give is 10 seconds when I forget to plug it in. :o If it doesn't catch in 5 seconds of cranking, I glow it again for 5 seconds, and crank for another 5. It's never failed to start after the second glow.

6. mountainexplorer

It's still cranking over pretty fast. The glow plugs only stay on for a few seconds at a time then click off.

Someone told me to never hit the throttle on a 6.2 Diesel when trying to start it and it's not running yet. Is that a valid statement? Since I was told that, I'm not stepping on the throttle at all except for a little bit right after it does fire.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My visor has instructions that say 1/4 throttle to start normally, 1/2 throttle when cold. If you don't use throttle when you start it, its ahrder to start, and it fails to set the high-idle solenoid.

EDIT: I ended up installing a manual switch for the glow plugs because the controller didn't properly judge the amount the glow the engine needed for the temperature/conditions.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

False!

On my drivers side sun visor,it has "starting instructions"--it says to "Depress the accelerator halfway above 32 degrees"--and "Fully Depress it below 32 degrees"..so thats what I do,and it DOES make a big difference!..Oil viscosity has a lot to do with it too--I use 15W40 year round,and its a bit thick when its below freezing.. :crazy:

9. mountainexplorer

I guess that could help alot. :D I wonder why he said not to use the throttle. I'm dumb when it comes to Diesels.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

At the very least, you need to give the throttle pedal a gentle push until you feel the "high idle click" in the pedal........

11. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

He was probably thinking of other diesels. For example you don't touch the fuel peddle in my Powerstroke when starting it. Or the Duramax or new Cummins.

In the winter I run the Rotella diesel synthetic oil 5W-40 and the engine likes it alot. I would definately look into the glow plugs and the glow plug relay.
    And I bet your block heater is not working. When I had bad glow plugs in the Stroke the block heater would help me start down to 20 degrees F otherwise no luck.

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Test the glow plugs first... just take a test light to each one individually. Clamp the wire to the positive battery post. Then touch the end of the glow plug terminal one at a time (wire removed first). If the light lights up, its good. If no light, plug bad and needs replacement.

PM me if you want to know how to do the manual glow plug setup cheap... I did that with my '79 and it works great.

13. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

When I plug my suburban in, I usually never have a problem starting it. If its that hard starting after plugging it in. sounds like the block heater isn't working.