Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 diesels with oldsmobile belhousing?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by darkshadow, Feb 6, 2006.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Is ther any truth in this?
    I friend who is VERY well versed in chevys, was telling me when i do my 6.2 swap ill need to find a olds bellhousing, because that the 6.2 has that bolt patteren.

He aparently got this from a mecanice friend of ours that got it some ware explaning a checy truck seen with an olds moter, that it was needed to replace a 6.2 to match the bellhousing.

I told him i have read up on the swap and have never hurd of such a thing, that and arent all GMS the same?

could this be only serten years? or do they have dule bolt paterens?

thanks dave

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your friend isn't as smart as he thinks (and neither is his mechanic buddy) Previous to '82 GM offered a diesel in the C and K trucks...it was the 5.7 Olds based boat anchor. I'd be surprised if any made it out of warranty. They did have the BOP bell. Starting in '82 the 6.2 was offered, and it was a whole new motor from the ground up.

The 6.2 has the standard Chevy bell pattern...my SM465 that was behind my 350 bolted right up.

Rene

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

God I hate people like your mechanic. You would think in the last 20 years SOMEONE would know enough to correct them and give them a big purple mushroom bruise on the face. Oh well such is the life of a 6.2 fan...

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sorry man... the 6.2L uses the same bolt pattern as any small block or big block chevy. Never used any other pattern on that motor.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

:haha: :haha:

great visual I got reading that...lol

Rene

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

As everyone else has already stated, the "mechanic" must be thinking of the infamous 5.7L diesel, which was based on the Olds 350 gasser block, and did indeed have an Olds bellhousing. I replaced a 5.7L Olds diesel with a 6.2L once, and I had to use an adapter to make the 6.2L Chevy fit the Olds transmission.

Casey

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

OK that makes sence then Gm DID have a diesel with an olds belhouseing.

AND HEY BACK off the mecanic he not mine, he is only 21 or 22, has his little plaque saying GM MASTER TECH!!!

well it is BSthey dont teach sh!t, there the tell them to call a help center if the computer doesent tell them what is wrong. AND he is trying to learn about carbs and older truck so he can actualy be a real mecanic.

I see it as a simple missunder standing of dates and facts. neather messes with diesel yet, so I wouldent hold it to them.

thanks guys, dave

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

this is a big reason why the 6.2 has a bad name (from people who dont have one) people just see seconed gen truck, diesel and the rep of the 5.7 olds is there. hmm lets take a old 5.7 and not modify the shortblock, just give it a 2X:1 compression ratio. That should make an awsome diesel:rolleyes:

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

wooh it that all they did?

yeah like a rock alright, like the one in there head.