Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 dual exhaust

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Guest66, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

Someone recomended to me to take out the stock dual exhaust on my 6.2 Diesel K5 and put on 2 3 1/2" pipes, they said it would add 40 HP, you guys have any ideas on that or recomendations?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Uh, that guy is full of crap. There are two ways you can go to gain power as far as exhaust goes. You can put 2.5 in true duals on like from the factory with some high flow mufflers and an h pipe to balance out the two. The second method is having a shop fab up a single 3 - 3.5 in exhaust. Both are great from everything ive heard about the two setups. I run the stock pipes with aftermarket mufflers and Im soon going to add an h pipe. However, neither one of these will gain near 40 HP. Maybe 5 or so at the most. It will however add a little mileage and make it sound a lot better. Its just your preference as to which way you want to go. I know there are a lot of other guys on here that have opinions on this so feel free to add on to what I said.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. Guest66

oh, ok, thanks for ya recomendations and ideas, ill look into both setups ya proposed, i know both of bank's kits that go on the 6.2 convert it to 1 3 1/2 pipe

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I added some flowtech afterburners to my stock exhaust set-upp. I also used 2,5" pipes from the muflers and out. Dont know if it got me any more horses, but it sure does sound like it's faster[​IMG]

Got some pic's of the innstal on my web-page:

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

5. Guest66

Allright, thanx for ya advice, ill look into that also, by the way ya Blazer looks good.

6. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Single 3" straight pipe is what you really need. Not only will your neighbors will be impressed but you'll gain 2mpg! I did!!

7. Guest66

How much does it cost and where can i find it?

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Will single pipe make it any louder?Shoud I use two mufflers or is one enough?Soon I have to build new exhaust pipe on my brothers 'burban and we were considering single pipe.

9. Double_T

If you're gonna DIY, don't put any mufflers on at 1st &amp; see what you think (serious). Otherwise 1 QUALITY muffler is enough.

10. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Does anyone make headers for our diesels?

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer, 6.2L diesel, 700R4

11. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I think that I go straight with muffler.Here police is quite strict about the noise that car/truck makes.Max. sound pressure is 85 db that law allows.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

12. Double_T

4x,
    I read on another post that you have a turbo? if so that in itself acts kind of like a muffler. Lots of people love the turbo whine! Try it 1st w/out any muffler and just see. If you get a ticket, just remember: it's not the last one you're gonna get!

13. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I don't have turbo yet.It's not first on my modification list.And we were going to use straight pipe on my brothers 'burban...maybe we try it first w/out muffler.Turbo goes probably on my upcoming K5 project.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

14. JECulver

JECulver Registered Member

Yes Stans Headers, Auburn Washington

15. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I would go with the single 3". It will run better with it and if you end up getting a turbo its one less thing you have to do. Dual exhaust will not work with a turbo. I think the Duals would only help if the motor would rev higher then 4000rpm's.
    Another thing to look at is how much black smoke the Dual exhausts are putting out. When i went to the single 3", it got rid of the black smoke which means it flowing more. I could turn the fuel up a little. You may be able to get 40 more ft/lbs of torque with the single 3" and turning the fuel up.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

16. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Do you have any contact info for this place? Web site, phone numbers, etc?

Thanks!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

17. JECulver

JECulver Registered Member

Stock 0-60 was 18.5s in my 82 Jimmy 6.2L 3.73 some smoke. After the stan's headers, dual 2.5in exhaust, H pipe, and open air box, 0-60 was 12.5s no black smoke. 2-3mpg gain.