Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 fuel pressure? will electric pump help?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by edeslaur1, Jun 24, 2003.

1. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

What's the pressure range for a 6.2 pump?

I just bought a truck with a 6.2 w/ 96K miles on it. Uphills, there's no evidence of black smoke, and it's a total dog to boot. No evidence exists that it will be less doglike uphills with a new pump. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The previous owner hacked some wiring and had installed an electric fuel pump somewhere that was switchable from the dash. Due to the very real risk of a fire due to the hack job and all the hot wires left swinging, I repaired the screwed up job. In the process, I didn't rewire some of the devices, like the electric pump.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif In retrospect, I'm wondering if he was using the pump to help increase fuel uphills? That might explain the EGT gauge on an otherwise (apparently) stock 6.2.

Since he lied about pretty much everything else /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, I see no use in asking him. Fortunately, I still did OK in the end.

Anyone have any thoughts?

TIA!
    Eric D
    Buy my Blazer! Please! See For Sale forum

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The electric or mechanical lift pump only serves to supply the injector pump with fuel...it really has no effect on performance or the amount of fuel the motor sees. As long as the injector pump is getting enough volume everything is cool.

We had a parts truck we bought and the lift pump didn't work at all...but with no air in the system the injector pump was able to pull enough fuel anyways.

How is the pump timing? It sound like it could be a little more advanced...this makes a noticable difference to the "right foot dyno".

Rene

3. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Timing, yeah, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'll have to fire up my manual to figure out how to do that to a diesel. I can see I've got work to do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What's the max safe advance & a good # to start? I'll bet dollars to donuts the timing chain is original. At almost 100K, I may need to think about it.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Timing, yeah, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'll have to fire up my manual to figure out how to do that to a diesel. I can see I've got work to do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What's the max safe advance & a good # to start? I'll bet dollars to donuts the timing chain is original. At almost 100K, I may need to think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Timing can be a little tricky
    You will see timing marks on the pump when you look st the manual you will know where and how to find them.
    Usually you align both marks, but if you want to advance them, go 1/8" at a time and try it, and preferably no more than 1/4" total.
    And yeah I would check the timing chain first make sure you have a tight chain then work on the timing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif