Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 injection pump adjustment-fuel volume

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by elacruze, Nov 7, 2004.

1. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

I know how to turn up the volume on the pump-but how do I know where the factory had it, how much I can turn it up, how I'll know when I've gone too far, and what will happen if I do?
    I've a Snap-On 480 timing meter in the mail, so I'll be able to adjust the timing correctly and adjust for extra fuel.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Turn it until you get your EGTs to a comfortable level for you and the condition of your engine. If you dont have a pyrometer, you shouldn't be turning it up IMO.

3. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

So there are no mechanical issues, just EGT's? I can't damage the pump?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Nope, in fact some tractor pullers used and probably still do completely remove the leaf springs in the pump which limits plunger movement. The preload on the leaf springs is what youre adjusting with the screw. The more preload, the farther out the plungers can go, the more fuel that can be injected.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

if you dont have a pryometer(i dont) how far could you crank it up with it being ok. I was told that if your truck doesnt blow much black smoke when you floor it, it is running lean and needs more fuel.

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For a ballpark guess without gauges, start with 1/8th - 1/6th of a turn. I recommend being conservative in your adjustments until a gauge finds its way into your plans.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For a ballpark guess without gauges, start with 1/8th - 1/6th of a turn. I recommend being conservative in your adjustments until a gauge finds its way into your plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure wasnt /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Then again i wasnt to worried about melting the motor down either when i did it. I really should get a pyro, but im afraid of what i will see /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif