Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 is OUT of the donor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jarheadk5, May 1, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

After a few days of prep work, I pulled the 6.2 and 700R4 out of the C10 donor truck today. Once all the wiring, plumbing, & bracketry was out of the way, it actually wasn't too hard to do...

Almost ready to pull.JPG

Hooked up.JPG

Comin out.JPG

Almost there.JPG

OUT.JPG

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone seen this before? I suppose it's a 2wd-diesel-specific thing... some sort of vibration-absorbing counterweight.

Trans weight.JPG

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The flexplate has 6 boltholes for the TQ converter... but only 3 bosses on the converter. Maybe it was a gas converter, and that might explain why the truck barely moved while idling in Drive.

engine 1.JPG

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Here's the steering-box-mount area of the frame. You can see the back-up plates the P.O. used to hold the box in...

Box mount carnage.JPG

More carnage.JPG

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Things I discovered today:

1. Pulling the engine with the trans attached isn't too bad. Especially when the truck is getting scrapped and you're not real concerned about the trans.

2. Just because no fluid comes out of the trans when you pull the slipyoke, doesn't mean no fluid will come out once the trans is tipped tail-down. :doah:

3. Doing this alone is possible. However, I don't advise it. I had to muscle the engine around a few times, and basically had to put myself in a position to get hurt if the hoist or rigging broke, in order to move it all. Not smart, but it's done, and I'm still intact. You can bet I'll have an extra person around when the engine & trans come out of the K5 though...

4. I am capable of picking a 700R4 up off the ground and putting the wood blocks back under it by myself when pissed-off enough. I'm also capable of ripping the TV cable off the throttle arm on the engine when I'm pissed off and not paying enough attention to the job at hand...:doah: :angry1:

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

#2, the bottom half of a plastic coke bottle taped over the slip yoke part helps a lot. Been there, cleaned up that mess.:doah:

Looks like fun, and it looks like you spent some time labelling stuff. Smart move...and something I always start off intending to do, and then promptly skip that step and move on to disassembly. :crazy:

Nice frame rail by the steering box...:eek1:

Rene

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

keep us posted.....I'm very interested in your swap :bow: I know how pulling a motor alone goes.. it can be a pita.. installing it by yourself is even harder :eek1:

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

been there too - apparently if you drain the tranny pan you're still not in good enough shape to turn the tranny over. we were swimming in tranny fluid that day.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

let me know how the swap ends up going, im debating bout either finding a diesel and swapping all my parts over, or swapping in a 6.2. my parents dont want alot of carnage at the house so i duno which way im gona end up going.

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

jarhead,

I'm very much a rookie at all of this, especially with diesels. Are you swapping a 6.2 out of the K5 for the 6.2 from the truck, or are you removing a gas burner from the K5? If you are removing a gas burner, I was wondering why you are replacing it with a 6.2. I always thought that the 6.2's were looked down upon. Do these engines have good power? Just curious.

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

They might not have the power for high speed assults, but they are great for crawling and off-road. They will run at any angle/slope with out hesitation, and when crawling, they're almost impossible to stall.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Funny thing was, I was all set for fluid to spew when I pulled the driveshaft: big sheet of cardboard under the truck, my oil drain pan under the tailshaft housing, me well-clear of the splash zone... and nothing came out. I guess my thought process was "If nothing came out now, I guess the 2wd trannies are different". Oooops. At least the cardboard caught the worst of it, and it's not like there weren't any oil stains under the truck anyway - it has been sitting there for about 2 years...

All the little parts (well...... most of 'em) got bagged & tagged, and all the lines got labeled. The Marine Corps taught me well there...

muddybuddy - Unfortunately, this is a long-term project. I still have a lot of work to do to the K5 before it's ready for the 6.2, much less to be legal. I'll keep the posts coming, but don't be surprised when a month or so goes by without seeing something about the motor swap.

tiger9297 - I am removing a TBI 305 from my K5, and replacing it with the 6.2 from the C10. The 305 is tired, and the mileage sucks. When it was still driveable, I was getting around 9-10mpg around town. My gearing isn't ideal (3.73's with 33"s), but in this combo (305/700R4/3.73/33") there's not 5mpg to be found in just a gear swap. With the 6.2/700R4/3.73/33" combo, I'll be looking at 1850rpm @ 65mph in OD IIRC - squarely where the 6.2 likes to live. I figure I'm gonna get at least double the fuel mileage I was before. The 6.2's power is probably comparable to the stock TBI 305, so I'm not losing anything there. I also have the option to run cheap/free waste vegetable oil (WVO), either straight-up or mixed with some diesel. As steve kibbe said, the 6.2 is d*mn-near unstoppable... it just won't win any races along the way.

This was going to be my street-legal offroad toy, but the bill to build it with "the right stuff" was getting out of hand, and I was feeling guilty about spending 5 figure$ on a hobby my wife has no interest in. So our money is going to a project we'll both enjoy, and the K5 is getting turned into a "utility" vehicle for mulch, firewood, big appliances, camping, occasional powerline road fun, snow, etc.

13. tRustyK5

Anything new on the RV project Ken, or are you trying to get this stuff out of the way before you start?

Rene

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Gonna be a while before the RV gets started. I've been slowly accumulating supplies for the garage make-over, getting rid of junk/trash that was taking up space in the garage, and I gotta get the K5 done first. Plus there's the $mall matter of the pilot'$ licen$e...:D
    My wife is happy though - the C10 is one BIG step closer to being outta here.

15. tRustyK5

:haha: :haha:

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you... :p:

Rene

16. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I am considering transplanting a 6.5 into my K5 next winter.

BTW, mine's bigger than yours (the cherry picker, that is): :p:
    P4290022.JPG

P4290022.JPG

17. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Engine swap

Give me a call when your ready to put the 6.2 back in, I'm willing to donate a sat. to avoid you busting your a$$.

I'm still trying to figure out the Itrader thing, I'll get it soon I'm sure of it.

What are you doing with the fuel injection unit off the old engine??

Don't forget to call for the reinstall. Later J.

18. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Looks like you've made some real progress there. Just curious, is the average lifespan of the 6.2 comparable to other light duty diesels?

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think so. The engine I'm installing has over 200K on it, and it started right up this winter when I relocated the truck in my driveway. One marginal battery, no block heater, 17* overnight and 31* at the time, 5 seconds of cranking after glowplugs cycled and she fired right up. Pressures and temps were good for the 10 minutes I let it run. I'm planning on freshening it up before I install it, but that's because I don't feel like pulling it again after it's installed.

20. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

263k on the 83 burb- and counting. (or was it 163?)
    278k on the 92 k2500- and counting. (just like the OD says)176 on the 96 honda civic- and counting.

126k on the k5- But not counting, as it hasnt been street driven in a year. :(

THis 3+ dolalrs a gallon is killer!