Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 low oil pressure?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Robert79K5, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I recently aquired my dads old truck with a 82 year 6.2 and all of this talk lately about cracking 6.2 blocks got me to wondering. After dad put about a hundred thousand miles on it it mysteriously and suddenly dropped oil pressure. Not to where it would kill the engine but it used to have pretty high pressure and just suddenly it started to get just around 40 psi while driving down the highway.. We replaced the gauge and sending unit and it still read the same so dad put a new oil pump in and got the same lower pressure readings... Since then we put another eighty thousand miles on the engine with no problems. I was wondering if by chance when the 6.2 blocks crack does the crack sometimes run through an oil galley and allow oil to just leak back into the block? I didn't think it was bearings since it happened really sudden and the engine has run for so long since this has happened.. any thoughts?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

whats normal pressure of one??

-Jeremy

3. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

mine is running at approx 40 psi.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mines always between 40 and 60 (vague gauge,LOL)
    my buddy asked me what kinda pressure it should have, I told what ever the gauge says,LOL