Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Motor Rebuild: What to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Sep 30, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. so as some of you may know, I'm rebuilding a 6.2L diesel motor. I'm about to start the build process, and I wonder if y'all have any suggestions of things to consider/do/add/improve/etc. in the build process. lets assume money's not an issue (though it is). i just want to hear all your thoughts.

Just to let you know where I'm at: new pistons (any suggestions?), rebuild the heads (to what degree?), hot tank the block, new seals, new bearings. What else would you guys do? I've done some minor searching and have not come across a company with aftermarket performance cams for the 6.2 - though I'm not sure that's something I even need anyway. Thanks!

Colby Stephens
    check out my truck at www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys
    (look up my video under "automotive portfolio" then "journal" then "the tear down" then "the tear down" again.)

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Do a search inthe diesel forum... one or two members have done "the ultimate 6.2 builds"

Quality 6.2 builds arent cheap... just the rebuild kits equal what you can do a smallblock for...
    used 6.2s are notorious for bad heads,,,cracked manifolds and leaks on higher mileage or poorly maintained motors.... the crank is also weak... carefully built they can be great mileage motors and if not tasked hard they can have aceptable reliability,,,

there are many tricks to make them run better,,, turbos etc...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

DSP gear drive, DSP main stud girdle...

Search Arveetek's posts in the diesel forum

Search Aggiedeiseler's posts in the diesel forum

Rene

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks for the leads.

5. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

The cranks are actually not weak. You hear about them breaking and people assume they are weak but what it is is they are susceptable to harmonic vibration. Basically with a 6.2/6.5 you have to make sure that your harmonic balancer is in good shape so it can do its job. If not then your looking at broke cranks.

They are not pullers nor were they designed to be beefy as a Cummins but they are very tough, efficient simple engines. I absolutely love mine.