Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 or 6.5 york compressor

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tackettb, Aug 30, 2002.

1. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

Has anyone here installed a york compressor on a chev diesel?/
    pics?
    TIA /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've searched this before. GM never used a York on the 6.2, hence no brackets. There MAY have been some RVs made with York ACs on them, but I couldn't find any info on them. If you really want a York on there you're gonna have to fab your own mounts. I took the easy way an found one of the older R8(?) compressors for my jimmy. It's a big rotary and supposed to have even more output than the York, but needs an oil feed to survive. I'm still working on an oil feed as I don't want to replace the compressor every 6 months (even though they're CHEAP). /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. tackettb

well I did find a York on a suburban, I think it had a 350 in it, but the bracket seems wrong for the 6.5 , I'll take a picture of it and see what you guys think.

4. tackettb

Here is what the bracket off of the suburban gasoline engine looks like. Bracket

5. tackettb

if anyone has put a York on a 6.2 or 6.5 I'd like to see it.
    Please!

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know if you are still looking but I found a source for york brackets for most vehicles as well as many parts at this site: Onboardair.com you could ask them if they have one for the 6.2, they don't list it but they might have it, or they could make it and have it available for others.
    Now if you are not in a hurry, I am going to fab my own but that is in the next couple of months, I will be doing that for on board air, not air conditionning by the way.
    IceMan

7. tackettb

I'm not in a hurry. I would love to see the pictures of your bracket when your done. I do have a york bracket from a gasser, I guess I should sell it here.

8. orlandoc

orlandoc Registered Member

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

just wondering if you ever finished this? If so how did it turn out? Pic's? Thanks.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just wondering if you ever finished this? If so how did it turn out? Pic's? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still too busy, but I hope that by march I should have some time.
    I have a friend that made one a week ago for a 350 that bolts to the heads, maybe I'll check if it works for the 6.2, and if not it could be a starting point.

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I have a couple brackets off different 6.2's, including the drivers side alternator braket on my CUCV. If i find anything that works, I'll let you know, Thanks.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a couple brackets off different 6.2's, including the drivers side alternator braket on my CUCV. If i find anything that works, I'll let you know, Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The york is a different beast, I don't believe it was offered in GM trim.
    If you find one that goes on the GM 6.2 and york compressor, send me some pics so I can duplicate.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I was just going to try and use the different 6.2 brackets for the enging mounting points and combine it with the bracket that came with the york. Hopefully with a little welding and some luck i'll get something that will work. I'll let you know if i find a combo that works.

14. stu

stu Registered Member

anything yet?

15. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

stu-
    i havent got any farther on the york now the turbo and serp install thats another story.

16. stu

stu Registered Member

Please tell me about the turbo. PM me if you like.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I finally got a York with the brakets off a chevy 350 and I will try and see if it's any close to fit on the 6.2l
    I am in the process of buying a house so a little too busy but in a couple of weeks I should have time to look at it and will let you guys know.
    I am equiped to duplicate if someone would be interested then.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

Talk about a long ago original post. I was wondering if anyone made out with the bracket for the york to the 6.2. I spoke with onboardair.com and unfortunately, they do not offer nor are planning on offering one.

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I made one but it came out prety ****ty so I went back to square one. I am going to take another stab at it next week so we'll see how it turns out. The biggest problem is tensioning the belt. On the first try I used a long piece of all-thread to move the whole pump and it worked ok, but the bracket was prety janky and I never even tried to turn it on because I figured the belt would probably slip too much under a load.

This time around I intend to use parts of the brackets off a 70's ford truck as well as the idler pulley that they used, I'm thinking this will work. I will deffinately post up progress pics though.

20. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm going to be starting the works on designing one here pretty quick. Just have to wait until a fellow diesel member has time to get out here so I can get some measurements off his motor.