Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 or 6.5

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by muddybuddy, Aug 19, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

lookin into joining th darkside. im currently in the research phase. i want to be able to get good gas milage, and still have a decent amount of power. i would be swapping in a 4L80E most likely at the same time. is the 6.5TD swap that much more hecktic than the 6.2? i like the idea of the 6.5 since there are more performance options out there for it. what would the gas milage difference be between the two? with overdrive 5.13s and 40's what would be some realistic mpg numbers in town/ and in the city?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A banks turbo'd 6.2 would make about the same power as a 6.5 TD, and beyond that the aftermarket for either is about the same. You don't want a computer controlled 6.5TD, mostly because they have their problems and it'll make your swap that much harder IMO.

I'd swap in a 6.2 and put the Banks kit on it. Same result but simpler and probably less expensive.

As for mileage, it'll be very hard to beat the mileage you get from a NA 6.2. With a turbo if you drive it conservatively (good luck with that BTW) you should see 15+ in town, and 18+ on the highway. You might see as much as 20 on the highway, but the auto will hurt mileage as will the big bias ply tires.

Rene

3. muddybuddy

so if the kept my foot out of it, it should get pretty much the same gas milage with a turbo as with out? i think at the same time id look into getting a 40gal tank or something. those came in burbans or something right? or would it better to go with an after market one?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I really don't see a need for more fuel carrying capacity. For off-road the 6.2 just sips fuel. I can wheel all day on $10-$15 worth...

With the 5 speed going in and with a 31 gallon tank my theoretical range should be well over 680 miles (highway), possibly more.

I could see the need for a 40 gallon tank if you're only getting 8-10 mpg.

Rene

5. muddybuddy

well see 8-10mpg is what im used to with my tbi 350 haha. ive currently got a 25gal tank in now. i guess a 31 would be easier to find and much cheaper than an after market one.