Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Out 400 In

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Well guys I have decided since ive got my hands on a 73 Caprice with a 400 im going to put it in my K10. Its only got 70,000 miles on the motor, so ill freshen it up with some goodies etc. Im going to use the tranny in my C10.

Anyway, how much is going to be required to make this swap work. My tranny is junk so im going to get a new one anyway, TH400 problably. As far as everything else what will i need? Coil, Motor Mounts. Do I need to switch out fuel lines? Can I stay with my dual Saddle Tanks...Im kind of thinking about ditching one of them or both and using a fuel cell in the front of my box. Is there anything else Im missing? Im leaning towards tearing out all my wireing and setting it up like a racecar. I would like to keep the stock headlight switch and the things related to that if possible.

As far as the motor goes. I would like to get it bored .30 over to clean up the cylinder walls. Its got a 2 barrel so I was thinking edelbrock intake and carb. Some kind of heads running to a flowmaster or glass pack. MSD coil probably.

After the motor and tranny swap is done, Im going to install the 4 inch lift i got from stomper, and a DIY4X shackleflip and 35s I think, maybe 36s

If you guys can think of anything im forgeting or helpful tips from those of you that have gone diesel to gas Id appreciate it. And no im not selling the turbo stuff off my GMC im going to keep it for my C10 which is going to get upgraded suspension and rear axle and going to be a tow rig.

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

anyone?

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've gone the other route and remvoed a gas motor in favor of the 6.2L... Since it is a chevy motor the motor mounts and bellhousing pattern are the same. You will need a 400 flexplate for the auto tranny as the 6.2L will be counterweighted differently. You need all the accessory brackets for the 400 as they are different from the diesel (but you should have them all if you got a donor car). The long ignition wire you now have running to your injector pump will now run to the HEI "BAT" terminal instead, just shorten it and put the correct end on it.

For the fuel tanks if you go to a fuel cell it will be easy, if you keep the tanks run an electric fuel pump to suck them dry, put in 5 gallons of gas, suck them dry again, then top off and run it on the motor.

You may need a smaller radiator and fan shroud now too... you can get them new from Chevy Duty very cheap though.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

things to look for..

The 2 bbl. carb on the 400 SB might suprise you!--I've had both 2bbl and 4 bbl carbs on mine,and I feel the 2 bbl made more low end tourque,and gave better gas milage than the Q-jet manifold with a Carter AFB carb on it...but I liked the sound of a 4bbl carb,so I left it that way...they dont sound as sweet now that gas is 2.50 a gallon! :mad: :doah:

The SB400 uses a flexplate all its own(externally balanced)--use the one off the parts car already on the motor (if its in good shape toothwise!)or make sure you get one for a 400SB if you get a new one...

The wiring should not be much different than a gas motor--all the usual stuff is there,like oil sender,temp gauge wire,etc..more wires will be "left over" than you'll need to add!..

I think unless you need the diesel radiator in your other truck you plan to "diesel" ,I'd leave it there and adapt the hoses to fit the 400SB..they need a good sized radiator too,mine had a 4 core 454 one,and still ran close to overheating on hot days..never can have too much radiator! :crazy:

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

If i read that right, you're putting the diesel in front of the car trans for a tow rig? That might not work out so great. Aren't the cars a TH250 or something?

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

a buddy told me it should be a th350 at the least since t hat car was so big, i havent crawled underneath. If its only a 250, ill just use taht truck for commuting it used to have a 700R4 till i blew it up.

The C10 is already a diesel so i was planning on leaving the current radiator in my K10. Im going to flush the hell out of it though, I can see alot of calcium deposits in it. And I had planned on going to electric fans.