Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 performance

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by braunm, Oct 29, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I have a few cucv truck's and I wanted to know what could be done for some more power. Would porting the heads and a value job get some power? What could I do about the factory duel exhaust? Ever hear of loud mouth? My friends truck has a nice sound and some more power from what he tell's me. Anybody know so more power tricks? Thanks for your help.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

All CUCVs utilized the Heavy Duty (non-EGR equipped) 6.2. Because of this, there is no exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. A quick performance boost would be the add a "H" pipe (where you can fit it) in the exhaust. Next a cold air intake would help. (all assuming the injection pump and injectors are up to snuff).
    Invest in a exhaust pyrometer, BEFORE you think about tweaking the injection pump.

Big bucks are your next step: 6.5 heads (bigger ports & prechambers). Or head directly for a turbo setup.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I have two set's of 6.5 head's. Do they bolt on?

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I believe the only noticable difference is the angle of the injectors; which would require new injector lines or judicious bending of the originals. Note for reference: HMMWVs use the shorter (GM van) style injectors which also have different injector lines.

5. braunm

braunm Registered Member

My heads are from a hmmwv. Do you know where i can get lines and injectors? is there anything else needed for this job? Could I port the heads and what ever else I could do to get them to flow? What would be good for exhaust? I was thinking of like 3" pipe with a flowmaster or something like that. Thanks a lot dieseldan you helped me out with my cucv so much.

Mike

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I think the injector lines you'll have to get from the dealer, unless someone has some used for sale. You could use either injectors asl long as the lines fit. You might want to get rebuilt injectors as the wear out around 80,000 (although most mil vehicles don't get that many miles, they do run JP8 at most bases). Check locally for a Stanadyne (injection pump) rebuilder or search the web for Kennedy Trailer & Diesel or Diesel Injection Service (DIS).

Three inch pipe should be plenty big, I think I only got 2.5". The Flowmasters can be alittle loud. I've got them, maybe they won't be so loud after I fix the holes in my floor.

I don't know about porting the heads. When I worked for VW (many years ago) I had an a factory repair Instructor that modded a VW diesel. He ported the prechamber some. I think would try to smooth port bowl alittle and port match the intake. If you want real power find a turbo kit. Diesels love turbos.

7. braunm

braunm Registered Member

Should I go with a single pipe?

thanks dieseldan

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Naw, if you're staying normally aspirated ya might as well go for duals. Turbos (aspirated) normally run one BIG one (check the pipe on a Dodge/Cummins). Unless you get real trick and come up with a twin turbo set up to scare the locals.

9. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I would suggest a dual/single exhaust. It comes off the manifold at 2 1/2 then goes into a single muffler then exits out a 3 inch tail pipe. I believe this is the optimum system for a natural aspirated 6.2 diesel.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.