Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 power loss, any ideas or is the end near?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by mpascino, Apr 25, 2002.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hello all, My suburban has a 6.2 liter with 154k on it, I always thought it was still a baby........I was driving my blazer around for a little bit, which has a lot of get up and go. I don't know if I am expecting too much, but to me it seems like the suburban has trouble getting out of it's own way. It starts well and runs smooth but just has no power. It has always been maintained. The injection time is right on. Any one have any suggestions on things to look over or check out. Where can I get a compression tester for a diesel and what readings should I find? I feel as if this problem has increased over the past year. I know my vacume pump isn't working, but last I checked that shouldn't effect power. The heads were done maybe 50k ago. Is it possible fuel pressure is not correct or the injection pump is going? Any ideas anyone has are more than welcomed.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Have the injectors ever been replaced? How about the injection pump? Injectors are good for at least 80K, pumps around 120K. If yours are original you may be due for both.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

154k means you're good for another 350k!!!! Like Dan said, there's a distinct possibility that your injectors and pump are nearing the end of their lifespan. When I replaced my injector pump I noticed a substantial increase in power and mileage.....

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice, any way for me to tell or test if the pump or injectors are bad? Any ideas where to find resonable replacements? I honestly don't know if they are orignial, my guess would be yes. Thanks again,
    Mike

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Without disassembly and diagnostic equipment the simplests test:

Excessive smoke particularly under load or accelleration (are cars swerving around you to get out of the fog?). Most noticable by following the vehicle. Usually indicates bad injectors.

Hard starting with a warm motor on a hot day. Usually indicates a worn pump (heat thins fuel enough to drop fuel pressure from injection pump).

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Well I think I might need new injectors then.

7. Can Can

A dirty airfilter can cause a lot of smoke too. You probably know that, but just in case........./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I going to change my fuel and air filters today. What is the recommended change interval for a air filter?

9. Can Can

Basically, I change my air filter out as soon as I notice it getting just a little dirty. I usually get 6-8 months out of a filter. If your truck is starting to feel sluggish and kinda poopy, chances are you've waited too long to replace the air filter.

My 6.2 is in a 2WD pickup, so it stays on pavement. If you wheel with your 6.2 I would imagine it could need replacing every couple of months. That's why a lot of guys go with a K&N, because they are cleanable.

FYI, I change out both my fuel filters yearly. In fact, they are due for replacement in a couple of weeks......Thanks for the reminder./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Ah, crap. I've got around 220,000 miles on original injectors and pump. Guess I need to start thinking of replacing some parts soon!

And yeah, my truck does smoke like a freight train when I do a full throttle start, but it seems to have plenty of power. Maybe it's got MORE!? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. René

René 1/2 ton status

Generally a diesel engine has to fight with loss power, if it gets not enough air or the injection pressure is down. If different symptoms will arise additionally, the cause research already more difficulty...

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have a k&n on mine, so i just wash it out every oil change sometimes more offten. but i also dont have a diesel.
    grant