Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 problems

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 1967k10, Mar 23, 2006.

1. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

We have an 86' K30 dually work truck with a 6.2 and it's giving us trouble. At random it will loose all power and won't move.Some of the time you can shift it to neutral and it will rev up other times it won't rev even neutral.Most times it will rev in neutral. It's got a new fuel filter and the air filter was just cleaned.

2. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

Have you checked for air leaks and/or replaced the fuel filter

3. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Sounds like injector pump is going away...

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Has this problem been progressively getting worse? If so, it sounds like the injector pump to me. These are the same symptoms that my '84 GMC pickup had when the injector pump went.

Just my $.02

5. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Seems to be getting worse.I think you are right about the injector pump.I checked with a mechanic friend of mine and that's what he said.Now we need a new pump.

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can get a reputable shop to rebuild yours for around $300.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmmm...

Seems to me I read a post here a while ago about injector pumps having a check valve in them that screws up or something,and contacts under the cover that oxidize..:confused: cant remember!..maybe search those posts?..

It might be something simple like the fuel cut off solenoid on the pump losing power due to faulty wires,ignition switch,etc.. or the solenoid itself crapping out..that would be an easy fix..:crazy:

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Just throwing this out there.... When I was young, I worked at VW Parts Department. I had a garage call up and check prices for a VW diesel injection pump. I gave him the price, but I also mentioned we NEVER sell pumps - Bosch pumps outlive the cars. I happened to mention this call to my boss and he knew what the problem was right away. Called the guy back and told him to fish around in the tank for the fuel pick-up. Check to see if the screen was still on the line and if it was to throw it away. Guess there was a service bulliten on this way back.

Guy calls back about a half hour later excited. The screen was covered in diesel pariffin (wax goo) and this was in the SUMMER! Spent hours trying to figure this out and was taking a beating by the customer :haha:

Anyway, it's a PITA to drop the tank just to look, but if there's garbage on your sock it would be acting just like you describe.:thinking: