Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Rear Main Seal

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Smitty, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The last rear main I replaced on a 6.2 was the rope style. I'm told there is a new replacement for this type of seal that is a lot more reliable. Does anyone know about this seal and the replacement process?

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

When I did mine I just went to the parts store and got whatever they gave me. It was rubber and had good instructions on how to install it. The biggest things to watch out for installing it is to make sure the lip is pointed in the right direction and if you are not taking the crank out, when you slide the new seal into the journal you have to have something to keep it from getting damaged by the sharp edge of the block. I used a little sliver of soda bottle plastic and lubed it up with motor oil then slid that bitch in. Actually putting the new seal in takes like 10 minutes, if that. Its getting to it that takes so damn long...

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is a new seal and once you get to the rear main it is fairly easy to replace.:D But as has been said, it's a bee-atch to get to:mad: Many reccommend unless yours is leaking a lot don't.

Make sure it is the rear main as well. Leaking oil cooler lines will often look like the rear main leak.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Weirdest thing happened. The rear main was pouring like someone was sitting on the engine with an open can of oil. I was able to get a pan under it since I was watching for a rear main leak. I let it sit over night and cleaned the pan and torque convertor cover up the next morning. I started it up to move to a spot so I could pull the pan. When I checked there was no leak, so I decided to run it for a few days before going through the pain of changing the seal. The thing hasn't leaked since that first time!:eek1: :eek1:

I have never had a seal fix itself. I've seen them leak a little less, but this thing is bone dry. I guess I'll just watch it for a while and see what happens.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Did you check the oil in the motor?:haha:

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I guess that would be a sure way to stop the leak. Expensive, but there would be no leak ;).

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'd replace it anyway.

So after a leak like that you are going to trust it won't do that on the highway and leave ya stranded?:confused:

So, are ya feeling lucky Punk? Well ARE YA?:D:D