Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Rebuild Cost

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Drey, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If any of you guys have rebuilt a 6.2 how much does it cost? New pistons, boring out(to 6.5 if anyone has done it?)new crank possibly and new gaskets. My motor is very screwed up, Ill leave it at the fact my harmonic balancer is moving enough to move the hell out of my fan belts when it is running.
    I have no experience rebuilding a motor myself, but between, me, my dad, and my friend andrew who is a tractor mechanic I think we could get it done. Although I am still considering taking it to a shop, because my dad isnt to thrilled about the idea of tieing up the shop for awhile...

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Let's make some assumptions:
    You do all the assembly yourself, your crank checks out and so does your cam, you replace lifters, pistons, all gaskets, all bearings, and you are just going back to stock specs on fuel delivery.

Expect to spend about $2500. That includes machining, and the cost of getting the IP and injectors rebuilt. Add a turbo to the project list, and the price goes up quickly.

Unless the last three digits on you block are 599, then you can't bore to a 6.5L. Stock bore is 3.98, and to get to the required 4.05 bore of a 6.5, you would have some serious problems with cylinder wall thickness. .030 over will get you up to 386 cubes, and that's more than enough to clean up most bores.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My motor is very screwed up, Ill leave it at the fact my harmonic balancer is moving enough to move the hell out of my fan belts when it is running.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, if it's making really bad knocking sounds pull the pan first. If the crank is broke you can pretty much write off the block, it'll be cracked--atleast the ones I've come across were.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

well it knocks to beat hell, always has. Should the motor be able to run with a busted crank. Because I can still get it to start and drive down the road.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless the last three digits on you block are 599

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these numbers at on the block?

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Two spots:
    On the back of the engine on what would physically be facing the flywheel, and on the back of the driver side bank of cylinders.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Should the motor be able to run with a busted crank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen them run with the crank broke between #1&#2 main journal. That is when the harmonic balancer flops around.

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Ditto. My '84 ran with a broken crank. Hellacious knock. Had bad harm balancer. Block was toast also. Most 599 blocks are 6.5s but not all.