Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 rebuild opinions wanted

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jarheadk5, Jan 23, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just recently got the title for the '87 C10 that I bought as a 6.2 donor. Turns out the truck's got a little over 200Kmi on it, and it's the original motor. It's got a newer waterpump on it, and the harmonic balancer was replaced about a year ago.
    I was really hoping to have the swap done and my K5 up-and-running in time to go 'wheeling this summer, but now I'm wondering if I should rebuild the 6.2 first, while it's out. I do have plans for a turbo, but that'll probably be down the road a bit. Not the small twins I was thinking about before, just a single; there's more fab work for twins than I have the skills/equipment/$$$ for right now.
    Sooo... Knowing about the high mileage, plus the fact that this truck was used as a plow truck for at least a couple years, should I just plan on a rebuild and start gathering parts, and start disassembling the motor once I get it out of the C10?

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

200K isn't necessarily rebuild time for an NA. If the engine runs well, and if you just want to wheel it, and your turbo plans are far enough down the line, run it and rebuild later. My original went to 300K, and ran perfectly when we yanked it.

If you run it, and start aquiring parts as you find good deals (a turbo here, some pistons there, etc.), then you can spread the cost of your project out over a few years.

I whole-heatedly endorse a rebuild. They're just too much fun, and the rewards are far too great to ignore. But rebuilding an engine that still has good life in it is almost a shame, IMO.

That's my advice, and I'm sticking to it.:D

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ken, my donor 6.2 had 211,000 miles on it when I dropped it in my Jimmy. I've put 15,000 more on it since then and it still runs fine. After I get a few other things done I'll start collecting engine parts and eventually do a rebuild, but I'm confident it'll last a good number of years yet.

I'd run it and follow David's advice. Collect parts as you can afford and do it later while enjoying the 6.2 now. 200K isn't anywhere near the end of a 6.2.

Rene

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, thanks for the advice. Other than glowplugs, is there anything I should change while it's on the stand? Especially since it'll probably be there 'till at least the middle of summer...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rear main seal and lift pump...

Both pretty inexpensive and easy to do on a stand...but a hell of a lot more work when in the truck. I wish I did my rear main before dropping my 6.2 in, now I have to do it the hard way.

Rene

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Definately do the rear main while it is on the stand, it is a real PITA to do when the motor is in the truck, especially when its 24* outside and you are doing the work in your driveway:mad: Same with the lift pump, i havent done mine yet but i sure am dreading it if i have to.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My truck knocks to beat hell, leaks lots of oil but just wont die:grin: well cept for now my flywheel is out of circle so I may as well pull it and rebuild it while i gotta tear into it. the 700R4 is gonna give up the ghost soon too most likly...damn that heavy Caterpillar boot:cool1:
    I have a 6.2 N/A sittin in a 86 C10 at our farm 174,000 miles and you would never know it, still fires up easy and runs great...just a smoked tranny

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Timing set is another thing to replace while you have it out. They wear out very quickly and my donor motor had only around 130K on it, but the timing chain was very sloppy.