Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If any of you have had a 6.2 Rebuilt, how much did it cost Kit and Labor seperate if you know. If you know of any cheap places to get a kit that would be great too, the college I go to will rebuild motors sometimes. So I could get labor for free /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Its for my 83 GMC if the year of the 6.2 makes a difference

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Northern auto parts has rebuild kits at good prices. You can also upgrade to felpro gaskets if they come standard with victors.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Around here noone will touch a 6.2 as far as rebuilding it due to the stress crack that are pretty common in the webs of the block.

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Unless something catastrophic happened to the engine, you shouldn't need to rebuild it for a long time Drey. I know guys with over 200k on their 6.2Ls and they have only done injectors, injection pump, and a timing set. What's wrong with your engine?

5. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

1 have a 83 suburban,6.2 dsl 3/4 4x2
    runs good
    $750 drive it home
    here in topeka ks

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Blow back and lots of it, also has a knock. The other thing is I have one of those crappy odometers that only shows 6 numbers instead of 7 so it could be 143000,243000,343000 etc ya know im not for sure. If I dont get it rebuilt I know for sure it needs a rear main. Ive definatly marked my territory in the dorm parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks anyway man, but this is the last deisel I will buy. The dorms dont have anywhere to plug a car into, and they are out in the open, if I had it at school now I doubt it would ever start. Im looking at a 89 K5 right now. 350 EFI and nice body hopefully its not rusted out underneath. It would be a nice winter rig. Im keeping the deisel due to great fullsize mileage and the fact Ill never get the money out of it that I put into it.
    [​IMG]

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Drey, if you need any parts for it I've got a 85' 6.2 with a broken crank sitting in a frame taking up room.